1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Netbook fails to power on

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by abezors, 28 Jul 2011.

1. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

[ Samsung N310 netbook; stock specs; always kept cool and looked after]

My Samsung N310 netbook died last night under strange circumstances - never had a fault quite like this before:
    - Generally browsing the web
    - Screen suddenly goes off (not just the backlight, LCD panel also). could this be a key point?
    - PC still running fine and responding to keyboard + external input (remotely connected to uTorrent GUI to see if it would respond).
    - forced a shutdown by holding power button
    - now won't power on

Power button now has no effect. I have tried all the tricks that I know (leaving battery out overnight and unplugged, bad ground, remove RAM, those sorta things). Refuses to power on with either no battery in, or only the battery and no mains.

I am competent enough to attempt a repair - but only if I know what the cause is. What do you reckon is to blame here?

I'm assuming it must be some power hardware fault that is causing the POST to fail (thus doesn't turn on for damage protection). Guess the most likely is the power regulator area (dead capacitors?) as surely any other hardware fault would still allow booting to BIOS at least...? Or the hint may be in the LCD failing.

Thanks for any input.

2. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

abezors likes this.
  3. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Sounds to me like alot more severe than simple BIOS issue, it would still show some sign of juice. Considering it doesn't work even with just the battery I'd be looking at power reg circuit, which could be difficult (if not impossible to fix yourself) unless you notice obvious component damage or diagnose, can find replacement parts and have soldering skillz..

What's the warranty situation?

abezors likes this.
  4. abezors

Warranty is one year only, so too late for that.

Had a minor breakthrough earlier - took it apart for a 2nd time and after unplugging everything on the motherboard, removing the CMOS battery (normal reset had no effect) etc I got it to half power on again. This time the power, charging and HDD indicator LEDs lit up - but still no screen and no actual booting.

I think it is something preventing it from POSTing, which would explain why it failed to turn on (power protection or something like that?). And seems I may be right since it half-powers on now.

Will leave it for today and get back to you after another day at it... Many thanks for your input so far!

5. abezors

Success!

Not sure what the exact fault was to be honest. After opening it up and unplugging everything, leaving it overnight and then put it back together it suddenly works!

Would be good to know what happened to it, but still I'm happy it's working and not gonna complain :)