1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows netbook for light/medium games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by blinkieleblind, 23 Dec 2011.

1. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

Hi,

I am in the market for a new netbook as it would be bloody handy for work (trainee teacher). Would mostly be used for powerpoint and word type documents. I have an old eepc which i gave to the other half as it was a single core 1gb pile of usefulness but has outlived its uses. The thing is that it would be quite nice to have a netbook that could play a few games such as FM2012 and also SWTOR (on low settings would be fine). I had this idea as it would be handy when i go to my sisters pad in the states and am a bit bored during the long holidays us teachers get :).

I don't really want a laptop as i want the ultra-portability of a netbook for school, and i don't want to pay the premium price for a laptop that will break within a few years.

The main contender at the moment is :

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/121-...-core-18ghz-2gb-500gb-hdd-webcam-hdmi-win7-hp

which has dedicated gpu (512mb) and i can expand the ram to 4gb.

I have also found:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...flow:item.detail?GroupID=240&Code=X121eBETTER

which looks like its based on the SB architecture with integrated intel hd graphics 3000

edit: just found this from dell:
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&model_id=alienware-m11x-r3

any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2011
  2. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Try and find something with an AMD llano chip in it. They have far better integrated graphic than anything intel.

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

4. blinkieleblind

yeah i have heard the intel stuff is rubbish on the atom side but thought that perhaps on the i3 it wasnt so bad. Also that Lamborghini one has an nvidia ion2 with dedicated memory. Does that still count under the "rubbish" tag?

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Yes.
    Here's why: AMD E-350 v Atom+Ion2 benchmarks

6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

You thought about getting the Alienware 11x?

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Jesus Christ!

So that's where AMD has been putting all its innovation into then, :D

oh wait, the above came out after only looking at SC2 benchmarks, but its still pretty good elsewhere too.

8. blinkieleblind

yes i know..... never thought i would say something like that. Unlikely tbh, some of those lenovo machines look viable though.

9. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Get some Civ to play! 2 should work no probs and maybe 3/4?

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

That said, this is probably a better comparison.

11. blinkieleblind

ok so probably gonna go for the lenovo x121e but need to decide whether to go for the amd version or the intel i3 version.

amd comes in e350/e450 flavours or intel one is based on the i3 SB architecture and has more cache.

thoughts?

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

The above post linked to a set of benchmark results which provides a pretty comprehensive idea of what you should pick.
    Look at the last page of that article. It even has suggestions.
    Don't get an i3 or e350/450 though. There both useless.

13. blinkieleblind

I had a look at the llano stuff and yes it would be awesome and fits the bill financially but misses the key point. The gaming is very much secondary, the main thing is the ultra-portability. I have no intention of lugging a full size 15.6" lappy weighing 2.2kg about from classroom to classroom and then home on a daily basis. So far all the llano stuff i have found has been in this form factor.
    The most powerful thing i could find sub 12" and 1.5kg was the e-350/450 or i3.
    If you do know of any llano products in this form then please do let me know as they do look perfect.

14. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Fair point. But you could still make your mind up from that article what to get.
    E.g Intel HD-3000>E350
    although ideally get an Mx11
    The 540M seems to be about twice as fast however it is £200 more.

15. blinkieleblind

yeah noted that and had decided to go down the intel route. thanks for the input.
    However myself being the "unable to decide" type has run into the ASUS zenbook; yes i know it kind of goes against my brief of being a bit more than i want to pay but for portability it seems unrivalled and it has an i5-m and ssd. Im a terrible sucker for gadgets :p

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/116-...-16ghz-4gb-128gb-ssd-bluetooth-windows-7-home

damn its sexy and no mac os.