1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by sp4nky, 9 Jan 2012.

1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Does any subscribe to Netflix?

It sounds too good to be true - unlimited TV programmes / films for the quite reasonable price of £5.99 per month - so I'm wondering what the catch is. Can anyone fill me in?

2. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

I don't know much about Netflix but apparantly Lovefilm have cut their own Unlimited Bundle to £4.99 a month which seems very appealing to me. I just wish they had more of a selection or got the programs quicker.

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

The big drawback of Netflix is that a very small fraction of their catalog is available for instant streaming. It is pretty much guaranteed that if you want to watch something, it will not be available and you will need to wait for the DVD by mail. As I tend to watch either on my tablet or at school, I don't like dragging DVD's, and I like instant gratification.

It is awesome for TV shows, as long as they have all of the episodes up.... I've ran into a few where one or two episodes are only available by DVD....

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Isn't Netflix streaming only in the uk? So no need to worry about dvds

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I've been subrscribed for over a year now, quite pleased with it. The streaming selection isn't nearly as large as their DVD selection but I wouldn't say it's limited. If you're looking for a service to let you watch any given movie at any time you might run into problems but if you want just want to watch something you're guaranteed to find something good.

6. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I've just subscribed and been flicking through.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The film selection seems pretty good and the TV series also seem pretty good.

The interface is annoying, I mean why start an episode when you go into say, spooks. Why doesn't it just bring up a list of episodes instead of starting the first one before you select the one you want to watch.

It's not as easy to find stuff either as Love Film. It seems to be just stuff listed by genre, I like the Love Film picks and the various ways you can find content on there which NF doesn't seem to have yet.

It's pretty close, it'll be interesting over the next month to see who gets my cash because I'm definitely only having one of them!

7. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I've heard good things about it over the shore. Might give it a go :).

8. sp4nky

What a coincidence - I've taken the free trial and the first thing I looked at was Spooks. As you say, it will be pretty interesting over the next month.

9. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Doesn't it use Silverlight?

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Just signed up to Netflix, fricken awesome. I am currently streaming to my laptop, iphone and iPad all at the same time. £5.99 is a bargain.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

So at <£27 a year, this is quite a bit cheaper than a TV license isn't it.

So how long before the BBC start complaining its killing them and start some sort of SOPA style thing to get rid of them, :D :D

12. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

£72 dude

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I'd rather revive an old thread than start a new one.
    I'm currently a blockbuster subscriber (postal) and have just got unlimited internets, so I'm toying with one of the following, ditching blockbuster and joining lovefilm, or keeping blockbuster and join netflix/lovefilm for streaming. I know both offer free trials, i just wondered what your opinions on either service were?

14. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'm about 3 weeks into a 1 month free Netflix trial. I'll be cancelling it before they take the first payment.

There's a fair few things on there I could bring myself to watch if I was desperate, but there's a complete lack of up-to-date films available. If they had just a few that were released within the last 2 years then it might be worth trying a bit longer, but I just couldn't seem to find anything that's been released since 2009.

There's enough things competing for my time nowadays for me to be quite comfortable with giving a miss to paying Netflix £6 per month for access to a decidedly second-rate catalogue.

What's more, I've experienced issues with streaming on most occasions of trying to watch something, on both PC and Wii. And I'm on BT Infinity so it shouldn't be my connection that's the issue.

Streaming is an attractive option. But it has to work flawlessly and the choice needs to be appealing to get my money.

15. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I had a look at it a while ago couldn't see anything I wanted to watch, I have much better films in my downloaded folder *cough*.

A service needs to offer HD top rated films straight away so it will just be more convenient than illegal downloading, then the majority wouldn't bother.

16. sp4nky

If you're tempted by LoveFilm's streaming only offer instead of Netflix, like I was, I wouldn't recommend that either. They only have around 3600 movies available to stream, plus the same number of TV shows, and only a handful of those were in the cinemas in the last 12 months (Source Code, notably).

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I relatively recently subscribed to LoveFilm.
    The streaming is nice when it's available, I want it quick and I'm not bothered about quality, but I'm mostly enjoying Blu-rays through the post. Saving vast sums of money and getting to see far more films compared with buying them.

Excellent value at only £8 a month for streaming and postal, although I am thinking of going up to £10 so I can have 2 discs at a time.

Also having Spotify premium means that I very rarely buy anything any more.
    I'm spending far less than I used to per month but I'm able to watch/listen to a much broader selection, albeit it all feels slightly ephemeral.

18. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I have never really pirated stuff, I currently pay for the top blockbuster service which is 3 at a time movies by post. My adsl just got bumped to unlimited and the price has gone down. I want to keep access to the bluray DVD rentals, but thought I can add streaming now for fun. From reading up, netflix is better quality picture and has more tv series than movies. Lovefilm is cheaper for streaming, has more movies, but less tv, no app for viewing on my phone, slightly worse picture quality, but can stream straight to my tv.
    I think I will take a look at the titles available, my boss has netflix so I can look at his account, and lovefilm is open online about their "stock"

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just try each for a month see what takes your fancy, both have free trials, I really like Netflix, but I never really catch a lot of TV for whatever reason so am happy to catch up with the older stuff on Netflix.

Got Lovefilm through my 360 account, it was something like £9 for 6 months, don't know if that offer is still on.

20. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Just FYI, you can cancel the Netflix free trial at any point during the month, and it won't take effect until the end of the month. In case you are worried about forgetting and having them take the first payment...