1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netgear DG834 Modem/Router/4 Port switch hell with ADSL2+

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Henchman:crg, 18 Nov 2006.

1. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Keep getting "Loss of synchronization", meaning I loose the connection and it then restarts.
    Subscribed to 24Mb ADSL2+ internet via Be, only getting 4.5Mb (when the connection doesnt fail)

I upgraded the firmware to 3.01.25, which is supposed to support the maximum speed for adsl2+, but keep loosing connection.
    If go to previous version 2.10.22 then it seems to be stable, but can only get 1.5Mb speed, which seems to be completely pointless.

Either I need to get a decent ADSL2+ modem or maybe someone could give me some advise why this modem is being so useless?

Oh yes, changed all the cables and filter, still getting the same problem, so I suspect its either a firmware problem or there is some setting to make it stable

Last edited: 18 Nov 2006
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Are you connecting the router directly to a microfilter attached to the BT Master socket? Or are you using extensions?

3. Henchman:crg

Filter is plugged directly into BT socket

No phones on any other sockets, even tried removing main phone from filter just in case its causing interferance.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2006
  4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Get the Be box for £24 tbh, it's pretty good, and it connects, unlike a DG834(G). :)

5. Henchman:crg

Using the Be box now

on the + side the Be box works, on the down side when then Netgear was working it gave me 4.5Mb, whereas the Be box gives me 3.7Mb :(

If someone knows how to get the netgear working this would be ideal, use the Be box until someone has an idea though.

6. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

Firmware upgrades?

7. Henchman:crg

As I said in first message, tried latest firmware and version before that, only two versions that support ADSL2+

8. Micric

Micric What's a Dremel?

My rant on ADSL2

Sorry to hear of you problem Henchman. Had problems like that myself I ended up having to use another router.

In my work as A network engineer I can say that ADSL2 sounds good on paper but has a massive flaw. To get the full 24Mbps you need to be within 500 meters of the exchange and the further away you are the slower it gets. Problem is that the wiring in most exchanges can be over half a mile long before it even leaves. This pretty much guarantees that you will never hit that sweet 24Mbps.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's not really a surprise Micric, I live about 3/4 of a mile away from a massive exchange (central Manchester), and our line only gets 16MB broadband...

10. Henchman:crg

16Mb, wow I dream of this speed, I would be lucky to get 4Mb, even though I am 1KM from my exchange

It does seem that different adsl2+ modems give varying performance though, does anyone know which one would provide the best performance?

Last edited: 1 Dec 2006