1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Network Hdd with pasword protected files

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Fozzy, 26 Nov 2014.

1. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

Hey everyone,
    Been out of the tech game for a while and im having trouble searching for what i want. The keywords have all changed and im finding google a little overwhelming. So im hoping someone can kindly point me in the right direction.

I have a 3.5" western digital 1500gb sata hdd that i would like to set up on my network.

I would lile this drive to connect to:

-PS4
    -PS3
    -Galaxy S5
    -Windows PC
    -And possibly my girlfriends (ipad mini/iphone 5s)

I would also love the ability to:

-Download torrents directly to the hdd remotely from my galaxy s5 and my pc
    -password protect/hide specific files from the other users on the network.
    -and access these files over the internet remotely when im away from home

Another feature that would be cool is being able to back-up all of the devices listed to the network drive automatically when in range wirelessly.

I also have 2 x500gb sata hdd`s of the same make if theres a good dual or triple hdd setup that could meet my needs via raid 0+1 or some other variant.

I realize im asking for a whole lot but i'm hoping someone out there may be able to point me in the right direction.

Ps: as far as speed consideration. Being able to stream 1080p would be awesome (also how much more grunt would it take to stream 4k videos #futureproofing)

Connection wise: would like to use ethernet or usb3.0 since they are available on my router.

Thanks homies. Bit-techs been holdin me down since 2004. Lemme know if you need more info.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Sounds like you're really looking to have a NAS. I doubt the router is going to give you any of those features you're after. They usually just have the simplest sharing possible via attached usb drive when it's even offered.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

To stream 4K, you're looking at a server over a NAS if you ask me. It takes a lot of processing. I could be mistaken, though. I don't stream data over my network. The only data that really travels across is about 30GB of files from my Dad's machine to the server and vice versa on a weekly basis.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Nah, 4K video require barely more cpu/gpu than 1080 video... unless you 'need' to on the fly transcode. The machine you're playing it on generally handles that actual work of playing it not the NAS/server. A simple low cost build with a current generation Atom, Celeron, or Pentium / AMD equivalents of would be just fine. Or just get something prebuilt like a qnap or something... just make sure to avoid anything with low end Arm cpu.

5. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Member

In terms of avoiding a NAS / Server some routers do offer most of what you are after.

I own an Asus RT-N66u and this has 2 usb ports and has software (I haven't used) for Downloading torrents and sharing the hard drives.

You can defo access your files when away from home and it also supports OVPN and DDNS with free services such as NOIP.com

I don't think it'd be able to password protect or hide files.

Also this router only has USB 2.0.

I think the RT-AC68U is USB 3.0 though. These routers are pretty much the limit of what a router can do. If you want more than this then you'll need a server/NAS as mentioned before.