1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryuujin, 9 Feb 2004.

1. Ryuujin

Ryuujin What's a Dremel?

I just got my new linksys router and I hoped it would work well with my network and what not, but after the installation and etc, I'm getting packet loss in games (like counterstrike) and my connection is unstable and lags with the WAN. For the LAN, the same story applies, as the transfer rates are unstable, flucutating for most of the time, and when I use radmin or access the linksys admin panel of my router, it lags. I think I narrowed it down to the network itself and/or the DSL modem because when I had the linksys directly connected to my computer, it did not have lag and i could surf normally.

The network in my house use cat5 cables, and we got wall sockets so we can run the network easily without hassle with.

Could the sockets themselves be the cause of it? I'm guessing miswiring could be the cause but I'm not really sure. Also, what's the difference between 568A and 568B cabling, because I'm not sure which i should go for if I intend to rewire the entire network.

2. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

I'm not up to snuff on british wiring codes or anything..

but here in Canada we use RJ45 cable for networking. Cat5 is phone cord if I'm not mistaken. They use the same sockets but.... well...

I'm using a linksys wires router, model no. befsr41 and it works just fiiiine. Got it fresh today too.. and our network cables are run thru the walls with wall ports too. :)

My guess is your wire... but was it like this before you got the router?

3. wharrad

wharrad What's a Dremel?

Hey peeps,

Yeah, I think CAT5 cable's fine - not sure what it could be. CAT5 is what's mostly used, with CAT5e ('e' for 'enhanced' I believe) being a touch better with sheilding and then CAT6 with all copper for mainly Gigbit networking - so you "should" be fine from that angle.

I do belive that RJ45 is just the type of plug on the end of the cables, with RJ11 being the smaller ones for telephones - but I could be wrong, so correct me...

Maybe over time something has gone wrong - like a mouse eating a cable or something. Bad wiring doesn't tend to effect 10MB connections, only when we're talking 100MB - which I don't think games get up too. Also, it's strange that it's only happening after you include this kit.

Does it have the latest firmware (if there is any)?

w.

4. Ryuujin

Ryuujin What's a Dremel?

Yea the RJ45 socket where you can plug the cable into might be the cause but now I'm suspecting the router because for some reason the connection isn't freaking out on me or anything. The linksys router has the latest firmware from what I can tell as well. I think it could be the wires that's running along the walls and etc but there's no way I can tell until I get find a really good cable/wire tester.

I have not tested the network before I got the router, so there's no telling if it would work or go crazy on me like it is.

5. jake

jake Network Gawd

568A and 568B are just different standards for wiring up the connectors at each end of a piece of 8 core cable for use in structured cabling. So long as you're consistent across the installation it makes no odds which standard you use.

J

Tags: