1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Network Media player without local storage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bwgames, 9 Dec 2008.

1. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

Hi,

I have a fileserver that I want to play stuff off via a network share, on my TV.

There's loads of things out like http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=SKI-MP302B&af=50 to do that with a HDD, but I don't want any local storage on it. Ideally it would also have a DVD drive/video in to play my DVDs and record stuff off Sky to the network share.

I suppose something that took a single drive (like the above) would be ok, if it could also access a network share. The DVD/Sky would be nice, but not essential.

Any ideas?

Cheers :D

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

have you considered just repurposing your fileserver into a HTPC/fileserver?

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Depending on the resolution you are playing, then a low powered pc of some sort booting of flash maybe? You don't have to store anything locally other that the operating system, and it is easier to do that than try to network boot.

4. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

How much cash do you want to use? I personally would recommend a dedicated HTPC that boots from flash (I've got an IDE to CF adapter that works well).

If you get a mini-ITX motherboard and case then it could be really small, really low power and really quiet. But it'll cost far more than one of those media HDD enclosures.