1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network slower than i expected :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dfhaii, 12 Mar 2003.

1. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

I yhave got 2 pc's and a dlink DES 1008 switch, both the pcs are connected at 100 Mbit full duplex yet it still takes ~13 minutes to transfer a 700 mb file, is this right?

Col

2. markit

markit New Member

It all depends on the computer speed in general, how much ram you have in each and what OS you use.

Mine peaks at 50Mbits with a P2 350 send/recieve to a P4 2.??Ghz

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

As markit said and also on the quality of the cable you are using.

4. Mutton

Mutton New Member

If all your components are 100Mbit compatable, inc cables, ie. Cat 5e, then the absolute best u can get is 56secs. This is ideal and you'll never get that.

It depends how you are copying the files.
    Are you just using windows to copy to/from a shared folder?

I find a DCC in mIRC etc. is much faster.
    It uses pure TCP/IP unlike MS

5. westeee

westeee New Member

it depends on the speed of the hard drives sounds to me like the other computer only has an ata33 drive in it

6. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Yeah, it sounds like your network equiptment is up to spec, but recheck your cabling and the speed of the harddrives on both machines.

You should be able to transfer 1GB in a little over a minute with that setup, as long as all the hardware's up to speed.

7. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

ok it is all cat5e cable, pc 1 is a athlon 1400 win 2k, wd se hard disk (ata 100) 512mb pc133 ram, pc2 is a p4 1.5 ghz 128mb rd ram, ibm deathstar 120gxp with windows me. i was transfering by copying from a shared folder to a local one.
    cheers for any help.

Col

8. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Strange. It should be mongo-fast compared to what you're getting.. It may be the physical network card or possibly its drivers.

I know my mom's machine would transfer like crap to any other computer, but a computer could send her things full speed. I replaced her NIC and everything straightened out.

9. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

the nic in mine is a dlink dfe 538 TX and in the p4 it is an integrated 3com on the mobo.

Col

10. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

are all the devices auto duplex? are you sure your network cards are both 10/100? have you tried just connecting the two computers directly with a cross over cable and eliminating the switch? are the RJ45 ends on the cable crimped properly with veary little untwisted media showing? if the media to the jack is untwisted more then it needs to be then you might take a preformence hit.

11. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

yea its all fine the swich shows them connected at 100 mbit fd, it was about the same when i tried a xover cbael.

Col

12. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I'm stumped. The only thing I would do now would be to get a new NIC for one of the machines and try it one at a time in each machine and see if it helps.

I've never heard of someone having so many network problems. Sorry, man.
    :(

also -you wouldn't happen to have a plain hub or another switch lying around to try would you? Maybe the switch is the problem. And if it's a managed switch, see if some kind of cap has been put on it or something. I think you said you've tried a direct link with a crossover cable, so that eliminates the switch as the problem if it still acts so slowly that way.. Oh well.

13. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

in the device manager, under the nics you should be able to force full duplex:confused:

Tags: