1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network wall plate?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by cdb, 24 Jan 2021.

1. cdb

cdb No comment

Hello,
    I'm just wondering. Instead of putting several cables through a wall is there such a thing as a network wall plate or wall mounted network splitter that you can just put one cable through the wall and simply plug the cable into the back (rather than hard wire) of it and it has at least 4 or more rj45 connections on the front for networking other hardware?
    Yes I know it would be simpler to go wireless but just humour me please.
    Thank you

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

ElThomsono likes this.
  3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

You won't be able to share one cable between multiple ports, though - but you can have your single network cable going into a small 4- or 8-port switch outside the wall and from there to your devices.

To be honest though, in terms of difficulty, pulling several cables through the wall isn't much harder than pulling a single cable through - the hardest part is getting the fishwire through and to the right place.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2021
    deathtaker27 likes this.
  4. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Mmm... So it's an idea that a few years ago, I am not certain that you'd have had a good solution for. But looking again there are some small, PoE-powered switches that can sit flush to the wall (or close to it) and provide switching for 4 ports. Of course, not everyone has a PoE switch to uplink such things to, but you can also get PoE injectors to inject power into a cable without your switch doing it (e.g. home router CPE probably won't do PoE).

The flush one is for US-sized pattress boxes, but you might well find a suitable UK option with a bit more searching: https://www.google.com/search?q=poe+powered+switch+pattress+box

Last edited: 5 Mar 2021
  5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 #noob

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

run multiple cables and terminate them correct in keystone jacks/faceplates - future you will thank you for it. takes 30 seconds to terminate into a jack - pulling the cables takes much longer!

What I have in my flat is a core POE switch, and then I ran some cables (not enough cables) and I run poe powered miniswitches in rooms where I need more points (as I should have run more cables) - Netgear do a small POE powered switch, but I use HP 1810-8g switches as I had a boot full of them removed from an IT refresh at a stadium.