1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Networking 2 buildings

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by unikey, 18 Oct 2011.

1. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

A little help please folks, Ive been asked to connect two flats together by a friend however the total budget is £0 so I need to use the kit available which rules out a wireless bridge:(

Flat 1 has the Internet connection and a wired/wireless network running of a dlink 615 using DHCP from the 615
    Flat 2 is currently connected the the wireless network from flat one using a PC and a wireless network card with a assigned dhcp address.
    I was planning to connect another 615 to use as a hub/ap point in flat 2 for the xbox and laptop connected to the lan card of the PC.
    However when I bridge the connections on the PC in flat 2 I cant get a dhcp address to the abox etc and if I assign them manually I get no internet access from flat 2.
    Currently flat 2 is using wired connections (for troubleshooting) within flat 2 ideally I would like to get a wireless network working there as well either as an extension of flat1's or preferably with a different ssid

tia

simon

ps all machine running windows 7

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Are the flats next to each other? I'm guessing not but worth an ask. If they are, could you just drill a hole through the wall whack an ethernet cable through and put a switch on the end of it. All of which would cost less than £10.

If that's not an option could you not just get another dlink 615 and set it up as an access point then forget about using the pc in flat 2 as the connection. Just connect everything to the 2nd 615 in flat 2. Not sure if this would work, networking isn't really my forte lol

3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Here's what you do.

1) Tell me the version number of the DIR 615 ie: C1,D2 etc - I'll then go and see if it will support DD WRT.

2) If it does, I will send you an identical router - free of charge - so you can extend the first network wirelessly.

3) ????????

4) Profit.

thehippoz and noizdaemon666 like this.
  4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You Sire, deserve rep. Easy, free and (if you ask nicely) you might get TSB written on it :D :lol:

5. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately the flats aren't next to each other and he won't let me install dd-wrt (although my understanding is the free version doesn't support wds) as VM have told him it will void the warrenty :( but thanks and plus 1 stockbroker,

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Well that really doesn't leave you many options.
    1. dd-wrt does support wds between 2 identical dd-wrt devices (up to build 14929), so convince them to let you install dd-wrt on 2 615s. While flashing may *technically* void the warranty, as long as you don't brick it flashing and if it needs to get returned to VM flash it back to factory firmware, its a moot point.
    2. if how they are using it now is generally fine, but has some signal issues that need improved you can try directional antenna (can-tenna) if the flats have any line of sight at all.
    3. tell them to quit being cheap and get their own internet service and network set up properly.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?