1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Networking 3 comps

Discussion in 'Software' started by LeMaltor, 25 Jan 2010.

1. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I have 3 comps on a network, the main is win 7 it connects to the cable modem, I have until this morning been using XP I've just updated to see if it would help fix the problem, it has not. The other two comps use Vista and XP to connect to the win XP (now win 7) main comp and used ICS to access internet.

However for a while now everytime I start the vista or XP comp I needed to setup a new netowork on my XP main comp. The second XP machine would then work and access the internet whilst the Vista one would need me to diagnose the network and would seconds later work as well.

However upon installing windows 7 and trying to use all 3 comps to get on the internet I have a problem. Both the 7 and Vista machines work fine, however the XP comp doesn't, my 7 machine reports it as not having "a valid IP configuration".

It's driving me nuts, I don't want to be forced back to XP and setting up a network everytime I start another comp.

Should I install windows 7 on the XP comp that won't network? Incase of some XP not seeing 7 issue or visa-versa?

Or would it be easyer to just buy a router :rolleyes:

2. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Buy a router, power saving from having the ICS machine on alone would probably pay for itself in a year.

Much tidier solution too.

3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

The main comp is the main one for a reason, it's always on, the other 2 comps are never needed when the main one isn't on :p

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

FIXED!

Here's how: Disabled ICS on main comp, selected all 3 comps in Change adaptor settings and bridged all 3 connections so network bridge shows up as an adaptor.

Right clicked bridge -> properties and untick all three comps, go back to main comp adaptor and choose to ICS with the network bridge (for some reason if you don't untick the comps you don't get a drop down box to ICS with).

Go back to bridge and retick second and third comp, restarted main comp and they now all can use internet.

Basically bridge comps 2 and 3, and ICS with the bridge :D

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Why not get a router though? I used to use a Netgear one with the modem seperate, does all the work for you and don't need multiple computers on to use internet

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Why get one though? Main comp is on all the time, the others are only on when needed o_O

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

A router would be much more secure than having an exposed PC (even behind a firewall, a PC with a direct internet link is exposed) directly on the internet.

And should your main PC ever stop working for some reason, you won't have to faff around to get access for the other two.

Finally, for £24.15 on Ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148728 you can't really complain at the price! :)

thehippoz likes this.
  8. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Is the main PC on all the time simply because it has to be? Or does it serve something?

9. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

With a router you don't need a 'main' computer - they can all access the internet via the router.

Because if your main PC crashes or the NIC fails, or it reboots itself (etc etc etc), the other two won't be able to access the internet?

The only reason for having your internet connection being directed through a single PC/server is if you are running a proxy server or you have some sort of DMZ set up.
    Otherwise you're just introducing a failure point for no reason.