1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Networking advice/help needed please !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 31 Jul 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

One thing I always avoided was networking. It seemed like so much aggro that I never even learned how to do a basic home network. Now I have a problem, though.

OK, so my current ISP is Plusnet. I have been in a battle with them for weeks now trying to get the net switched out of my ex's name and into mine, but they refused to do it. The only way* to do it was to disconnect the line and start again. *Well, it could have been switched to another ISP in my name, but ex's don't like that so they cancel my switches and get it cut off any way, knowing it will cost me the best part of £200 to get back online.

OK, so here is what is happening. I have my PC wired to my Plusnet router. When I try and connect to the internet it comes up with the Plusnet page saying "AuthFail". In other words my ex has had the router's login details changed so I can not access the internet any more. The phone is still alive though, and should remain so until the 8th.

I phoned BT last week and they said they could switch it, quoted me a price then tried phoning back for another £130, this is pending. They still haven't called back.

OK, so I realised I could possibly use BTFON like my ex and I did when we moved in. However, I could not connect to it using my Plusnet as it kept just going back to the AuthFail page.

So I disconnected the ethernet cable out of my desktop, inserted a 150mb N wireless USB card and sure enough, I could log onto BTFON. Even better because I am a BT customer now (pride :S ) I can use it for free !!

Just one hitch. Today I was bored so I set up my NAS, and I have loaded it with some music and films to watch in bed. However, if I try and plug my ethernet cable back into the PC it overrides BTFON and I can not get on the internet.

Is there any way to use both connections at once? like keep the connection to the Plusnet router with the ethernet cable (so I can keep loading on films and music) but connect to the net using the wireless card?

Right now I can only get it to do one thing at once.. Help would be appreciated and TIA for reading :)

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Yes. Override the DHCP settings in your LAN with the same IP address only statically defined, and don't put any default gateway or DNS in. Leave your wifi connecting with automatic IP.

As long as these are different IP address ranges you will be fine.