1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Networking Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ranger Loki, 22 Feb 2002.

1. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

OK I have a Compaq Server using Windows 2K Server on it.

I have several 'clients' with Windows 98SE on each.

I have a SMC 10/100 Switch which connects EVERY computer including the Server through normal Cat5 Cables...

I recently got Time Warners Road Runner Cable installed right next to the Switch, and I need to give each computer on this network internet from the Time Warner Cable.

How do I do this?

I THOUGHT all I needed to do was connect it to the Uplink port on the switch, but it didn't work.

I will answer any and all questions you have, I am fairly knowledgable in this stuff, just not enough, otherwise I wouldn't need to ask hehe.

Thanks guys.

2. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

is that SMC 10/100 Switch , a router?
    and how is the cable modem connted to the pc ?

3. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

Note:
    "I THOUGHT all I needed to do was connect it to the Uplink port on the switch, but it didn't work. "

I had it plugged into the switch, and nope, it is not a router, as far as I know....

Description..
    16-Port Ethernet/Fast Ethernet Dual Speed Switch

Short Description
    SMC’s EZ Hub™ 10/100 Switches are auto-sensing, dual-speed switches that offer a simple, cost-effective strategy for integrating Fast Ethernet into your Ethernet network.

Long Description
    Designed for easy integration with any SOHO network, SMC EZ Switches contain added feature like Store-and-Forward and Flow Control to ensure data delivery and network integrity. Powerful enough to run your network’s backbone, yet so easy they can be used in place of your desktop hubs, the EZ Switch™ 10/100s brings the power of switching to you.

Do I have to install a second NIC???????:confused:

4. ocha

ocha Minimodder

hey you need a router and the connect that to the cable modem and then connect the router to the switch by a trunk cable most probably but not too sure about that. But yes you must have a router to connect outside your own network, or you could go through a pc but that means leaving it on all the time if you want net access when ever. Your best option is connecting the switch to a router to the cable modem then out to the world (i think) i think that is all right someone tell me if i am speaking crap.

Guns

Tags: