1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Networking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jonester, 30 Jan 2002.

1. Jonester

Jonester What's a Dremel?

Ok, here's the deal. I need to network 3 computers together. Two desktops and one laptop. I need to be able to use my ADSL connection on each one. One is running Win 98, one win 98se and one Win ME.

I just recieved a quote to have this installed, after picking myself up off the floor, decided I'd better try this myself.

Now the problem, I'm clueless about networking. Can anybody suggest a site that can help? Or suggest what kind of equipment I need to purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Jonester

2. BannedMojo

BannedMojo Banned

In short you wanna set yourself a proxy up - and then anything connected to yer PC with proxy set to *.*.*.* will have access...You need 2 PCI NICs (100mbit), and 1 PCMCIA NIC...

a hub/switch (switch better), some RJ45 cable...

3. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

right first off i will quote from myselve from another thread...

Only difference you need with this setup is you have three PCs..
    so...

89.1.1.1 = PCMASTER
    89.1.1.2 = PCSLAVE
    89.1.1.3 = LAPTOP

and then instead of connecting PCMASTER to PCSLAVE you need to buy a small 4port hub, then link PCMASTER into the hub, and then connect the other two PCs into the hub also, and tell both the 'slaves' to connect thru to the proxy (89.1.1.1)

As long as the net connection is turned on, and the master is set up to obtain IP automatically then internet and stuff should work fine.

You just to remember that if you any firewalls running on the PCs you will need to set each of them up to allow FULL access to 89.1.1.1/89.1.1.2/89.1.1.3 these are all internal IPs so unless you are gonna hack yourselve you will be safe. :D

Only other thing you will need is some proxy software off the internet, to turn the master into a proxy.
    This peice of proxy software is probably yer best bet....and its free

AnalogX Proxy 4.07 From Downloads.com

4. Or you could put out for one of those linksys routers $99 I think.

5. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

6. Ouroboros

Ouroboros What's a Dremel?

I have a EN586 Router just the job
    its got a stack of options inc hardware firewall

cost me 130 quid

Mail me if you want the address of the guy i got it from
    For more info on the router go to

http://www.efficient.com/

7. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

that linksys router, actually does have a built in firewall etc.

<PIMP>

-Connects to a Broadband Modem Or to An Ethernet Backbone.
    -Equipped With a 4-port 10/100 Switch.
    -Connects All of Your PCs to the Internet With Only One Purchased IP Address.
    -Creates a Firewall to Protect Your PCs From Outside Intruders.
    -Network / Transport Protocol - TCP/IP, UDP/IP
    -Remote Management Protocol - RMON
    -Switching Protocol - Ethernet
    -Connectivity Technology - Cable
    -Data Link Protocol - Ethernet
    -Device Type - Router
    -Warranty - 1 year warranty
    -Power - AC 100/240 V ± 10% ( 50/60 Hz )

</PIMP>

8. Ouroboros

Ouroboros What's a Dremel?

Dont sound 2 bad for the money

9. Jonester

Jonester What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys for all your help. That router looks like a good way to go. Is it difficult setting the network up once its all wired together. I keep hearing about things like NIC settings, addresses etc. I'm guessing but does NIC stand for "network interface card"?

Thanks again,
    Jonester

10. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

Yup, a router is the best way to go. You can do it with one of the computers if you know what you're doig, but a router has more features, and is much easier to use.

Never seen 89.1.1.x IP address range used before as an internal non routable range - most things use 192.168.x.x (or occasionally 10.x.x.x)

If you get a router all you need to do is set all machines to auto get an IP address and the router will take care of the rest.

Edit: Only thing I could find that used the 89.1.1.x range was a 3Com Office Connect router. funny old thing.

11. BannedMojo

BannedMojo Banned

meh college uses 10.0.x.x...

12. vipmehta

vipmehta What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Here are the private address ranges.

10.0.0.1 - 10.255.255.254

172.16.0.1 - 172.31.255.254

192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.254

If you use any other range besides the private range, you may find that it conflicts with a global range on the internet.

In small home networks, the best things to do is stick with 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254

Now on how to network them together.

If you have home ADSL, you have a PPPoA (PPP over ATM as opposed to PPPoE which is PPP over Ethernet that most cable modems have, and most routers will only have two ethernet interfaces, unless you want to splurge on a router that has bulit in PPPoA capabilities).

I have looked at the Linksys router. IT WILL NOT WORK WITH BT HOME ADSL. The router requires a DSL modem with an Ethernet connection.

If you plug anything besides the Alcatel modem in the ADSL socket, you are most likely violating your service agreement.

There is a Draytec router that works with USB. You just plug the USB end of the Alcatel modem into the router. It also has four ports in the back so you can connect upto 4 PCs.

Here is a link for the review for the draytek router.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2001/q4/draytek_vigor2200usb.asp

Just get some cheap SMC network cards for the two PCs, and an PCMCIA card for the laptop and then you are in business. Oh you will also need regular RJ45 cables.

Vip Mehta

vipmehta@yahoo.com

CCIE, CCDP, CCNP

Last edited: 11 Feb 2002
Tags: