1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

never knew how loud hard drives are till now

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gretzky, 3 Feb 2003.

1. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

Just relplaced my stock fans with blue led fans with manual control.

Even though my cpu is at 45c at idle cause i set the fan on lowest rpm it is very quiet and its kool. But I closed up my case and it still freaking loud so I open my case up and my 2 hard drives are so freaking loud. Never knew those things are so loud

The loudest harddrive is my 5400rpm western digital and maxtor is close to the noise of the western digital

I think I will go with a seagate next time.

I also removed my front intake fan cause I dont play games on this computer, its mainly for FTP hosting and mp3s. Case is at 21c so its not bad.

2. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

I used to have a noisey WD but then i got a nice 80gb Seagate, it has never made a sound and never gets hot at all! Should last a good few years.

3. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

What kind of noise are they making. If you can hear the whine of the platters spinning you can replace them (like I did with my Maxtor). If it's just the read/write noises there's not a lot you can do about that other than buy a Seagate (which is my primary drive which is completely silent)

4. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

Ya I can hear the whine of the platters. Very loud and not pleasent.

I mean out of all my fans and psu combined that westerndigital is horrible.

I had it for a year though so I dont know if i can RMA it.

And if it dies on me then I dunno what im going to do, i have some important data on that hard drive.

5. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

the hard disks in my computers are very quiet , one is completly silent it is made by maxtor (20gb 5200rpm) the other computers hardrive is a 80gb 7200rpm is quite quiet and thats wiyh the sides of my case missing

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

seagates are probably the quietest drives out there...

the new wd are pretty damn quiet too....