1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU NEW 10900k! (with bonus weird marketing points)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 30 Apr 2020.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

How do we know he didn't mess up applying TIM the first time round? It can happen. Not saying it did, but it can. I find a 20 degree delta a crazy difference. Even der8oring only managed a good 7 degree difference on his possibly highly binned 10900k.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hmmm interesting. I guess we'll have to wait for more people to get hands on with them. Could just be a duff application of TIM.

I swear Debauer did a delid video.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

He water cools so had already tried all of that. I doubt he would delid a soldered IHS until he'd tried everything.

First thing I asked myself is "why has Jay even made that video?" It didn't take me long to suss.

People are obviously complaining about the heat. He's trying to limit damage.

If, however, you take a look at the OC3D review and the insane clocks and low temps Tom got? Yeah, it's pretty clear what's going on.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Option a) Everyone getting good results must be a paid shill.
    Option b) Your friend got a duff chip.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yet again a CPU discussion on BT degenerates into brand wars. So dull.

yuusou likes this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I actively avoid OC3d as his videos are terrible!

7. Vault-Tec

Silly really. Was only trying to warn people. TBH? the results above are exactly what we all expected out of this CPU, until Intel apparently fixed it with magic.

I like watching Tom. He has sacrificed a lot not to be a shill over the years. But it's very clear that he was sent a totally cherry picked sample.

Ed. Whether it is A or B it just proves that crap chips exist on this platform. So if you are buying one?

A. Don't buy tray CPUs as they will most certainly be total crap and
    B. Take your chances on retail.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

9. Vault-Tec

That Jay is a shill? I don't need any - they all are. Even Tom to some degree, but he actually burnt bridges in the past with OEMs because their products sucked and he said so. And that is why he hasn't "made it" like the rest of them.

It's how the world works now. If you say negative things you get cast off. It is as simple as that. That is why Linus did that video the day before it launched, wearing a blue Tshirt, making all sorts of excuses for Intel and saying he loved them.

Look, if Jay isn't a shill then that video was bad regardless. Mostly because he obviously doesn't have the full picture and is putting out bad info. Why would you do a video saying the CPU is not hot, when multiple reports have said it runs at over 90c at stock clocks on a 240mm AIO? why else would you do that?

I'm not getting into some childish Intel VS AMD argument. When AMD sucked I said so, when Intel suck I say so. Note my reaction in the B550 price thread earlier. The roles have simply reversed is all. I know about the problems inside of Intel. And the problem is that they are all narcissists and don't listen to each other, let alone any one else. I'm pretty certain that these defence videos are coerced. The only way to conclusively say "This chip isn't hot at all" is to go to the store, buy multiples and group test them. Not use the review sample given to you.

And yes, let's now use Tom as an example. You seen the overclocks he got out of his and volts and temps?

I have lived in the USA and I am fully aware of how it works. You smile, you say have a nice day, and if you don't? you get to F. Piss off a company? they just strike you off. Now if you want to tell me that isn't how it all works? I am all ears !

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Accusing a large number of people for taking kickbacks for money or other compensation is a very serious accusation.
    Arguments presented without evidence can be dismissed similarly. The 'I don't need evidence, it agrees with my opinion so it must be true' un-logic is how we get conspiracy nonsense.

Last edited: 29 May 2020
    thewelshbrummie and Bloody_Pete like this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That isn't how it all works.

Well, let me temper that: that certainly isn't how what I do works, for the most part, but then I'm not a YouTuber.

I've written negative things about products I've reviewed in the past. Some companies have taken umbrage - like the one that launched an overpriced Arduino-compatible DIY handheld console kit with a custom PCB that turned out to literally be an existing open-source design they'd just slapped their own logo on. They didn't like that I pointed that out in the review, and when they launched some kind of motorised robot face thing as a follow-up I didn't get one.

Bigger companies like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, though? They tend to take this stuff on the chin. It's not to say they're happy if you write negative stuff - Nvidia's PR was a bit put-out that I described the CPU performance of the new Jetson NX as "somewhat underwhelming," despite that being almost the only negative point in an otherwise glowing review, but that displeasure was manifest as a few emails arguing their point of view and checking I hadn't screwed up during benchmarking.

There's certainly never been any undercurrent of "retract the negative bit or we'll blacklist you" that I've noticed, though, and definitely nobody saying that outright. I think I was even more negative about the original Jetson TK1, and yet here I am with a shelf of other Jetson products.

That's journalism, mind you, which is distinct from "influencer" work. I do know for a fact that "influencers" on video sites and social media often sign contracts in which they agree to only discuss the positives of a product, usually in exchange for cash though sometimes simply for a freebie - so I guess it boils down to whether the person you're watching extol the virtues of Product X is a journo or an influencer. Me? I'm a journo, and my bank balance - or lack thereof - stands as proof of that fact.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

They also need to add the "paid for by X" disclaimer, or be slapped down by the local advertising regulator (e.g. FCC for the US, ASA here). Small operations may be able to fly under the radar in that regard, but larger ones (i.e. the ones producing professional videos with a payroll of staff) will not.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Back on the subject of Intel CPUs and thermals.

It seems a lot of the thermal issues aren't so much Intel as they are motherboard related. A whole bunch of boards seem to be overclocking and overvolting the CPU as a stock setting to make it run faster, leading to excessive power draw and heat. Run at Intel's actual stock settings all the 10XXX CPus seem to be just fine, but there's no guarantee that's the settings a given board will run at. The board companies all want ot have the 'fastest' product and Intel aren't stomping on their heads the way AMD apparently does when it comes to stock settings.

Hooray marketing!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

This has been common for quite some time now.

Fingers66 likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Right, you are a journalist.

The whole review system on things like CPUs and GPUs is bent, though. Reviewers are sent review guides, instructing them on exactly what to test and what not to. Which means the reviews are mostly bent to make the product look good in the areas they are strong.

I am specifically referring to Youtube, btw. But yeah, it's all full of manipulation and if you don't do as instructed you get struck off.

I got one thing wrong though. Gamer's Nexus buy their own gear, and from what I remember do not adhere to any rules and regs.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

LTT doesn't really either, as they're so big they can afford to loose the income.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's not what a reviewer's guide is. I got a reviewer's guide for the Jetson NX: it opens with some marketing fluff as background, goes through the specs, then has some step-by-step instructions for setup and benchmarking - but these are suggestions, not commandments. There's absolutely nothing stopping you running the same benchmarks but with different settings, or entirely different benchmarks altogether - I ran through a gamut of benchmarks on the Jetson after checking Nvidia's own benchmark suggestions, and not a damn one was in the handbook. That's how I could draw the CPU performance comparison, after all!

Nowhere in the guide, nor in any of the other guides I've received over my career, does it state what you can't test.
    Again, strongly disagree. Sure, if all someone's doing is following the reviewer's guide to the letter then that's exactly what you'll get - but they're not reviewing it at that point, they're just regurgitating existing results. That's not journalism, that's PR.

Reviewer's guides exist for two reasons: one is to provide background on the product, along with technical details from internal testing, and the other is to make sure nobody makes any stupid mistakes. Not every tech reviewer, sadly, is highly technical - and that goes double if you're talking niche products like a Jetson - so you have to make sure they're not going to do something stupid, like review a many-core CPU using single-threaded benchmarks and nothing else - or set it up with the memory set to stock 2400MHz clocks instead of XMP profiles...

edzieba and Bloody_Pete like this.
  18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Plus just following a reviewers guide doesn't make you a shill. It makes you a bad reviewer. You're a shill if you're actively paid to push a misleading line about a product, 'an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others.' Thats not what you're describing at all.

edzieba, Vault-Tec and Guest-44638 like this.
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Or just lazy, not doing the work you should and choosing the easiest path.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

I agree. Also, without turning this into a filibuster (it's too hot) I will say that I misunderstood what the word shill meant and is used for.

From now on I will just call them whores.