1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New 2011 Custom Built PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blizzard29, 7 Aug 2011.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The lack of an SSD is .... just..... *this system has performed an illegal operation and needs to shut down*..

There is nothing technically wrong with the spec, most of it is top shelf after all, but I do question the reasoning for such components once you factor in the overall value proposition.

A system such as this:

- Define XL
    - Z68 mobo (gigabyte UD7 or the like)
    - i7 2600k
    - Corsair H80
    - 8GB of memory
    - 2 x GTX 580
    - 120GB - 240GB Vertex 3 (boot)
    - 2 x 2TB Storage drives (one for data and one for backup).

Would be just as quick CPU wise and quicker GPU wise yet cost ~ half as much.

2. blizzard29

blizzard29 What's a Dremel?

cheers bloody_pete, with the system as it stands temperature wise inside the case temp idles ay 26C, Temp for CPU - 27c, Motherboard - 15c, HDD - 32c Graphics Card - 45c

would water cooling the rig make much of a difference to temp wise?

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well, whats your load temp? Thats what matters...

4. blizzard29

I suppose when it came to building the pc, as you stated i could build one just as fast for half the price.. I suppose it is just personal preferences really, money was no problem and i like the spec

5. blizzard29

Is there some sort of software i could use to test the load temp?

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Core Temp or CPUID HW monitor can both be used to monitor temperatures in real time.

You don't get a nice graphical output (although you can output a file which can be used to create a graph) but it does show you the current, min and max values for the cpu temperature.

IIRC the temperature reading is taken from one of the sensors in the cpu package itself, this will be as close as you will be able to get to knowing the true temperatue of the cpu bar some form of probe.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I use Prime95 to load the CPU and either Furmark or Unigen Heaven benchmark for GPU personally. Prime95 is also good for testing OC stability too.

Also use Coretemp for the CPU temp monitoring, as I've found HWmonitor and Realtemp to be more buggy and give false readings. For the GPU use either GPU-z or MSI Afterburner as they not only give you GPU temp, but memory temp and voltage regulator temp too :)

P.S. Thats a very low OC on that CPU, my mates 920 does 4GHz easily...

8. blizzard29

Hello

After reading all you comments.. could someone please tell me what the best brand of CPU & GPU blocks i should buy? also what:-

- pump?
    - tubes? How long?
    - res to hold water and monitor?
    - radiator for heat exchange?
    - fans on rad for more heat exchange?

Could you help me out and tell me what you would use to set this up?

cheers

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you really want a high end processor like that, considering it's price (despite technically being an end of line product) why not go LGA2011 and get a i7 3960X for almost the same price? It will stomp all over the 990X? You can then get the Rampage IV 2011 board.

You're paying a great deal of money for an obsolete platform with no upgrade potential.

Windows 7 Ultimate is a complete waste of time too.

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

He's already bought it Pookeyhead, I'm not sure he'd want to drop another grand on 2011 parts :hehe:

11. Pookeyhead

Ahhh...

You never know.. he may by the Rockerfeller type... lighting Cuban cigars with £50 notes.

12. blizzard29

like noizdaemon666 has said the rig is all ready brought lol, but downgrading is not the option i had in mind lol...

So from my previous thread what would you buy?

Cheers

13. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

well, sticking with your theme, just go for the most expensive

14. Pookeyhead

Downgrade? How is a 3960X a downgrade? LOL

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

From what I remember bit-tech gives out helpful advice, not just point the finger and laugh. I will help you in about a hour or so busy atm.

16. Pookeyhead

Who's laughing? I was just confused because last thing I posted was a mistake thinking he hasn't bought it yet. He listed a 990X and I suggested that considering 1366 is an end of line product, and for pretty much the same money you can get a 3960X, that would be more sensible.

The "LOL" was at calling LGA2011 a downgrade.. not AT his 990X... which is a great chip.. just not something I'd invest in now.

17. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

people are allowed a sense of humour too, no one was mocking or pointing or laughing

18. BlackDrag0n

BlackDrag0n What's a Dremel?

When you say HD Ready, do you mean to say you bought a $900 graphics card to play on 1366x768?

19. blizzard29

Hey sorry had replied via mobile lol and didn't read it right.. But since i have brought and had the rig up and running for nearly 4 months i don't have any intention to change any of the spec.. But have keep in mind your ideas for a new build some time in the future.. Giving this is my second build the only thing i would like to learn is to have it water cooled but again im not shore on what i need and what to get...

Cheers

20. blizzard29

Hi there i know a lot of people have commented on the fact that my TV is prob not the best in the world but another upgrade i am looking into doing soon

Cheers