1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU New AMD 8core CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bladesingerz, 7 Jun 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I don't see it so I don't know what the requirements are mate.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

As for how the Bulldozer chips pull way more than intel; Silicon Leakage. It's wasting a lot of power with ease. Look at the Bit-tech Benchmarks for the release FX models, especially the overlocked power draw.

4. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

prime95 isn't at all representative of the real power consumption difference you'd seen in normal gaming or other "load" use. Might be fair to revise that down to 100W although that is still a large gap.

5. AlienwareAndy

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

no that's an overclocked system (and that's total SYSTEM power not cpu on its own)

at stock an 8350 is 213w , overclocked is 364w , whereas the IB i5 is 161/267 overclocked

again that's system load from the wall.

I was looking at the wrong proc with my comment above -

the difference at stock is 52w and overclocked is 97w.

where did that 164w come from?

7. .//TuNdRa

Also, at last check, Bit test Intel systems in an m-atx motherboard, while AMD only has ATX, which accounts for some of the power difference. (Up to 30W according to reviews.)

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

BT said that themselves in that article - M-atx use less power and that's the intel review kit

9. AlienwareAndy

There are MATX boards but none with SATA III or USB III.

I contacted my friend at Asrock recently and asked her the crack.. She said that -

1. There are no ITX (I did ask for those too !) because AM3+ has no onboard GPU (fair point)
    2. There are no 990FX MATX boards because... She didn't know, so she's sent a request to Taipei lol.

I think when the console slop supports 8 cores we may find more nice boards come over to AM3+.

It's quite a sad state of affairs when Gigabyte have just made a G1 Sniper for FM2 (pointless in a way) yet haven't made one for AM3+.

I would like to see Bit-tech take a 8320, overclock it, install the hot fixes for Win7 (or use Win8 with all the updates) and then revisit their gaming benchmarks.

There was a known fault with Win7 that had to do with core parking and the CPU cache basically dumping itself in the middle of an instruction causing lag.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

11. AlienwareAndy

Oops I better not tell my mate he'll skin me.. He just bought a 2550k and MSI Z77 MATX for a small fortune..

He really wanted a 8320 but I didn't know a board existed that would support his stuff.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its not a 990 chipset that's why - it uses the SB 850 (which has the same feature set as the 950)

13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Oh, good point, I got the number wrong. More like £17.50 per year then with the 8350, with my usage. Still covers the price difference between the two CPUs in a couple of years, but kind of embarassing that I got the maths wrong >.<

PC Per used ATX boards for both AMD and Intel in their review and got similar power consumption differences, so I don't think that's the issue here.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so 5 years difference in power usage , will give you the balance in cost

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends how long you keep a pc for, 5 years is not unrealistic in this day and age considering people hand down there old pcs.

Its unrealistic on this forum id imagine but I know alot of people still on core 2 duo systems to this day and thats more than 5 years old.

16. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Buying the 8350 would be a lot safer because its brand new, and I think my 2 360 rads. would be able to handle a big clock, right?
    I tried to find a 1100T but couldn't find a good price for it and most stores don't even sell it anymore.

Its funny to see a lot of people saying that the FX isn't bad at all, since all the reviews i read in the begining kinda took my enthousiasme down for it. But I can honestly say that is now renewed :)

17. .//TuNdRa

FX is and isn't as terrible as the reviews make out, the processor is still very quick, but it's not as fast as Intel offerings. On the flipside; inital setup costs are a lot lower with FX series, due to combined motherboard and CPU costs.

It's worth it if you're already planning on going AMD, which you are, but given the option; I'll usually push people towards intel, simply because the performance is better, and I don't have to spec a better cooler just to keep the chip in line.

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

As I said I'd definitely go with the 8350 in your situation, it's by far the cheapest route as you've got the rest of the kit already, and you have the cooling to clock that thing like crazy.

I'd definitely go for a brand new option with something like a CPU anyway. My rule is that if it's not something I feel like I could fix myself, buy it new... old keyboards, yes, old CPUs, no.

19. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The lack of competition until now from AMD has sadly allowed intel boards to go up in price from ~£70 for a good board in the Core 2 era to £120 now.:waah:

20. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Do AMD's have any issue with longevity? I've never owned one but I'm curious about it.