1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple New Apple iMacs, Mac Mini Updates & Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatOldOne, 20 Oct 2009.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/20/macbook-updated-with-led-display-multi-touch-7-hour-battery/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/20/apple-updates-mac-mini-and-adds-server-option/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/20/apple-introduces-magic-mouse-a-multi-touch-mouse/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/20...mac-models-with-21-5-and-27-inch-led-screens/

Bigger LED Screens on the iMacs, and a quad core option. Nice idea on the mac mini server, but I particualrly like the magic mouse. My MacBook Pro is an early model intel, which doesn't have all the multi touch functionality of the newer ones - this could be a cheap upgrade to get those toys! :)

2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I already have a multitouch MacBook, and all that makes me do is miss multitouch when I'm using my desktop. Since I've a student version of Windows 7 Pro arriving next week, does anyone know whether the Magic Mouse could be compatible with that for all the gesture based stuff working with 7's touchscreen abilities?

Ideas?

3. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

mmmmm

This is why i miss apple! I love the mouse, whats the deal with windows7 compatability?

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I prefer mice and laptops with actual buttons tbh.

I can't use the new Apple laptop trackpads.. Just seems too awkward.

27" iMac is droolworthy though, just wish you could get them with matte LCDs.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was actually looking at one of the new Macbooks for the missus earlier. They are very, very nice, but I need one $300 less :/

I bet they aren't self upgradable too for an SSD and 4GB of mem.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i just wish there is an option to buy normal monitor version of the 27inch iMac, something like LG L271UW.

the screen real estate on that 27inch screen looks great, and size looks a perfect upgrade from 24inch when i get a job next year.

7. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Pretty nice. I used to use an imac but went back to pc because i like games haha! I liked os x but the limited upgradeability plus weak gpu made me go back to windows.

I wish apple did a mid range tower with easy upgradeability and i'd probably have that for audio recording/editing but i'm asking too much knowing apple.

8. wyx087

anyone know anywhere they make:
    -27inch
    -IPS panel
    -LED backlit
    -16:9 with 30inch's screen width
    aka, iMac 27inch display without a Mac.

im willing to pay £500 to £600 for such a stunning display, now!

if the iMac had something like DVI-in, i would probably have already logged in via university VPN and bought a 27inch iMac.

9. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Actually, the 27-inch can be used as a standalone monitor through its mini Display Port (and a DVI adapter).

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I wonder if the mouse is compatible with Win7?

11. wyx087

source for such info?

on previous models, that's output only.

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i think it's their way around the blu ray thing. it's not apple's fault about BD btw: the consortium refuses to license it to them because their OS isn't locked down enough :rolleyes:

Last edited: 21 Oct 2009
  13. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

You got a set of jeweller's screwdrivers? Then you can upgrade. Memory & HDDs are classed as user upgradable items in Apple's eyes, so you don't even void your warranty doing it.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Polycarbonate-Unibody/1239/1

I upgraded my MacBook's HDD, Memory and Wifi card (it only had G to begin with, now it has N) - no problems at all.

14. AngusW

AngusW mmm

I'm surprised that they have not released a macbook with the new i7 clarksfield chips yet. I'm assuming that this could be there next upgrade..

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You're full of Win, GOO.

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I wonder how well the mouse will handle you resting your finger on the buttons. I quite often lift my fingers on and off the mouse buttons without actually clicking.

I'm dubious.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Don't they still used buttons stashed at the bottom, but with a clever touchpad?

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Apple's spec page. The 27" iMacs support input on the MiniDisplayPort via an adapter, though the adapter is yet to be seen for specifics.

19. wyx087

when the adaptors becomes available, i'll seriously consider buying one, the screen will rock!
    (also, i always wanted a real Mac)

20. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

apparently the adapter is included, according to something i read on engadget.

scratch that teh manual clearly states they're sold separately. When these imacs hit stores i'll be going down there to investigate whether they can be used with HDMI/DVI inputs with the appropriate adapters (these are already for sale on the apple store, btw)

Last edited: 22 Oct 2009