1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build advice for Photographer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bigjohn, 1 Dec 2008.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Exactly.

There's no short cut.... just back up, then back up your back up :) As my dad would say... "Belt AND braces" (suspenders to our US friends :)).

As has just been said, your RAID controller may go fubar.. worse still, someone may break in and steal your PC, or god forbid... a house fire. A computer is replaceable, but your data isn't.

RAID is useful in a commercial environment because it minimises downtime, but it's NOT a back up strategy.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For a monitor, check out the HP LP2475W, apparently the colour reproduction (once calibrated) is absolutely immense.

3. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Member

Thats odd, im not saying your lying, but i build a i7 copmuter for a friend a couple of days ago and in my opinion its the best case ive worked with, and ive worked with several, easy to install components, good look, good cooling, lightweight. Everything you could want

4. Bigjohn

Bigjohn New Member

Right folks Im going to start ordering bits and pieces and build a good setup for me is the list here what I want?

programs I'll be running photoshop cs3, lightroom, music,
    I have 6 hard drives at the min 4, 500s ( USB2) thats full and backing up at the minute to two 1GBs ( firewire )

can I build up a check list from feedback

1.The case sounds like its what I need so thats sorted........................ £143.74

2. the intel Core i7 920 2.66................................................................... £270.34

Is this enough ram folks or is 8 a must?

3GSkillTri-Channel 3 x 2 GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 CL9 PC Memory........£200

Motherboard?
    I have 3 printers and 2 scanners ( 1 flatbead 1 negative ) 6 external drives

Good fast DVD writer for extra backup and creating sample DVD for Brides?

Which PSU? is the one listed perfect?

Monitors is two whats required to help?

PS I can probably stretch the budget and take longer to gather everything up if needed.

Thanks

John

5. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Member

The PSu listed is a very good make and should provide enough power for that system, with i7 the amount of ram comes in increments of 3, so its 3 gig, 6 gig, or 9gig.

If you want a slightly cheaper case go with the coolmaster cosmos s.

go for the p6t if you can cope with spending a little more, and the cpu will be easily enough

6. Zargon

Zargon Master of the Universe

Right then monitors.... you're gonna need some serious real estate for those large images (as I'm sure you know). Some folk prefer dual 24" but I use a 30"er and I've never looked back.

In general, tftcentral.co.uk give very comprehensive reviews so you should look there. They perform scientific tests on color accuracy (deltaE) across peer groups for example!

I use the HZ30W: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz30w.htm

The reason I draw your attention to this one is not just because I have one, but because they are currently £690 inc VAT at overclockers.co.uk (its on a "this week only" offer). This is a bargin for a 30" monitor that gives good color accuracy once calibrated. It's possible that this model is due for a refresh (as others in the line have been recently), but for the money you'd be hard pressed to beat it. Just a heads up, and do look at others before you decide.

I would also recommend you get a hardware monitor calibration device also.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Can't argue with that for the money really can you?

As for profiling hardware... this is essential for a photographer. Buy the best monitor you want, but it's going to consistently let you down if it's not profiles correctly. The Spyder2 Express does a great job for the money. The 3 Pro can be had for great prices too, as it's just been discontinued I think. It may be worth paying the extra for something that also profiles prints to creata ICC for your output as well. That's getting expensive though.

8. dtham

dtham New Member

I agree with regular back ups as well. The problem with a RAID1 mirror is that if you get corruption or viruses it's on both disks. So in addition to the mirror you should have regular backups (if it does seem important).

One note about a Mac for this kinda thing is that if you have a .Mac (me.com now?) account for $100 a year it gives you 10GB of online space and it does an auto backup regularly (which was vital for my school projects in university) and it really made it dummy proof which was important for me :blush:. The other thing is that Time-Machine worked really well with an external drive for backups which is also very easy to setup. The major downfall as mentioned is the price... it would be more expensive for an equivalent system with the $100/year account. (There are other methods and cheaper storage places too but require more work)

9. Bigjohn

Bigjohn New Member

Yes I already have the spider 3 which is a good job

john