1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build advice please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 18 Sep 2010.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Hi all

I've been researching a new build for a little while now - I have built in the past, but not for a few years. Anyways I was hoping for some advice as to whether I'd overlooked anything in the components I've (nearly) decided on...

Budget: £800 - £900 including OS and delivery
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming, Work
    Parts required: Everything... nearly
    Previous build information (list details of parts): Keeping same monitors (definately) and Keyboard / Mouse (for now anyway) but salvaging nothing else
    Monitor resolution: 1 @ 1680 x 1050, 1 @ 1024 x 768
    Storage requirements: 1TB will be easily enough
    Will you be overclocking: yes - a little maybe but not heavily (to begin with!)
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Nothing out of the ordinary really
    Extra information about desired system: Stable & fast would be nice (current computer is stable(ish) but getting sloooooooow)

These are the components, like I said, that I am nearly convinced on:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H - scan £67
    GPU: Gainward GTX 460 GLH - scan £197
    PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650 - scan £85
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - scan £44
    Case: Cooler Master CM690II Advanced - scan £76
    Optical Drive: LiteOn 24x DVD RW - scan £14
    CPU: Core i5 750 - ebuyer £160
    HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - ebuyer £16
    RAM: Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Memory Kit CL7 1.7v - ebuyer £90
    Wifi: Tenda Wireless-N300 USB Adapter - ebuyer £10

Thanks in advance for all your help / suggestions about problems I could encounter / alternatives

GeorgeK

EDIT: I have added the prices that I am currently looking at paying for each component - I am trying to limit search to ebuyer and scan to keep down postage costs as I need a Saturday delivery, but would use other companies if I could save a fair amount

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  2. GeorgeK

bump... any suggestions at all?

(Apologies for the bump BTW - just keen to get building after all the researching!....)

3. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi There & Welcome - sorry we're a bit slow :)

Just a couple of comments from me to get the ball rolling:

- Generally you'll want a P55 motherboard (rather than a H55) for an i5-760/750. The H55's are designed to work with the clarkdale GPU that's in the i3-530 and some other chips.

- The motherboard you've chosen doesn't have the more modern SATA 6Gbps and USB3 capability. Perhaps you've decided you don't need them, but it's worth thinking about.

- How come the i5-750 from ebuyer? The slightly newer i5-760 is cheaper on Scan @ £155.28

- You could save a bit on the 460. People seem to be coming over all hot and flushed for the Gigabyte 460.

But broadly speaking, it is looking pretty solid at first glance over. Hopefully some others will jump in also.

4. GeorgeK

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was originally after the i5-750 from scan (which was on at £145) but I checked today and they had no stock so I just quickly looked at the price on ebuyer for the i5-750 but if the i5-760 is newer and cheaper then brilliant - thanks!

I'll look more into the motherboard - maybe saving some on the CPU will give me a little extra for the motherboard :) - At the minute SATA 6GBps is not at the top of my list, but USB3 may be useful sooner rather than later...

I'd mostly gone for the Gainward as I've never overclocked and the stock speeds on that are higher compared with the Gigabyte - also the greatness that is CPC seems to suggest its quiter, but again I'll look more into that

Thanks for the suggestions though - definately saved me money (and suggested better components) already!

GK

5. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Get parts from scan, seems cheaper at this point in time.

Get a p55 motherboard not a h55 as someone else said.

Get 1600mhz ram with normal height size and not added heat fins like the corsair as these could restrict your cpu cooler.

Change your cpu cooler for a gelid tranquillo or Titan fenrir. Fenrir can be abit noisy though if your using it as a work machiene though.

6. rob the bank

rob the bank New Member

second the advice above.
    It may sound a bit strange but you choice is pretty much on the money,hence people aren't queuing up to tell you how dumb it is :=)
    Only thing i would add is you can probably find some 1600mhz RAM for the same price.

7. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

IMO these parts need looking at.
    As Roosauce said that motherboard is designed for Clarckdale CPUs and therefore a p55 Board would be a better choice.
    GPU - The Gigabyte 460 is cheaper at £172 from scan and is still over clocked but not to the same levels. This can be done by you though if you really need all that speed at 1680 x 1050.
    CPU - Just might be worth looking at the i5 760 as its slightly newer than the 750 and clocked at 2.8GHz
    RAM - Unless i'm mistaken 1.7volts ram wont work on a h55/p55 board and is limited to the same as the 1.65v of x58? Need someone to double check though.

All looks pretty good (no idea about the wifi though).
    Great choice of case and HDD. Would say that the freezer 7 is not an amazing cooler but will allow you to do an overclock.

roosauce likes this.
  8. GeorgeK

That's good then!

I'd originally had 1600mhz ram on my list but on the intel website (for the i5-750) and in the ga-h55m-ud2h manual it said that they only supported up to 1333mhz ram - would 1600mhz ram work with these then?

I'd like a gelid tranquillo but scan are out of stock :( might look into the titan fenrir - they're not too much more but are they much noisier?

Cheers again - GK

9. roosauce

A good call here I think. Stick within the common range 1.5V through 1.65V. 1600MHz should work on your motherboard, but you won't notice much difference between 1333MHz and 1600MHz.

As people have said, the Freezer 7 is OK, just not great. Fine for the price and also fine if you're not pushing your overclocks really hard. CPC did recommend the Thermaltake Frio in their latest rounup however - maybe check that one out.

10. GeorgeK

Thanks again for the help - the kingston 1.7v RAM actually ships set to 1.5v with a CL of 9 and then can be upped to a CL of 7 by upping the voltage to 1.7v although reviews on ebuyer would suggest that a CL of 7 can be achieved with a lower voltage...

Still if 1600Mhz ram would work and is the same price then that seems like a better idea - any ideas how I could find out if it would for certain or not?

I'm looking at the ga-p55m-ud2 now instead for the motherboard - any thoughts? Seems quite good, although I'd have to buy it from elsewhere as ebuyer don't sell it and scan are out of stock. Again though the manual doesn't say that it supports 1600MHz ram - it says:

"Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules"

Does this mean everything inbetween these values or only these values?

The Themaltake Frio does look quite good, but is now double the cost of the Freezer 7 pro - I'll read more around that and have a think - the Titan Fenrir looks pretty good for an extra tenner...

11. roosauce

Great - 1.7v might be fine, but the official spec is 1.5v, but we normally stretch it out to 1.65v ...

This is an ongoing debate - speed or latency? Really, you will never see the difference. Most people just go for 1600MHz 1.65v DDR3.

Yep - it's a custom PC approved board ... good value.

Pretty much any value in this range. The actual RAM speed will depend on BIOS settings.

Fair enough, the Fenrir is great. There won't be much difference in overclocking headroom ...

12. GeorgeK

Thanks again - what do you mean about the actual speed depending on the BIOS settings - how would you check what speed it was running at? If the motherboard didn't support that speed what would happen?

13. roosauce

The gigabyte board should show RAM frequency at the start of boot-up. You can also see it underneath the memory multiplier selection in the BIOS.

RAM has multiple accepted configurations listed inside the chip - very safe up to pretty aggressive. Your board will work out which it can support (probably whatever settings are listed at the JDEC standard 1.5v) - or you can tweak it using the base clock, timings, dram voltage, and memory multiplier. Don't fuss too much - a few MHz difference on your RAM will make very little difference to anything important.

The RAM is ok - I would just not go up to the 1.7v it has listed as being possible.

14. Throbbi

Throbbi New Member

Cooler - With the cooler whilst people are correct in saying that the Tranquilo is quiter the Fenrir isn't exactly noisy. I can hear my hard drives over the Fenrir so its is very very quiet just not as quiet as the Gelid. The main point of noite with Fenrir's though is that (i think someone said, if not i'll say it anyway) RAM with tall heatsinks (Dominator, Ripjaw, Reaper etc.) will not fit under the Fenrir's fan in DIMM slot 1.

Graphics - In that price bracket the Gigabyte really is the card to go for. The Gainward does indeed have a higher factory overclock but the Gigabyte seems to outperform it in every other area and, at your resolution, the difference in real performance will be almost impossible to see imho.

15. GeorgeK

Having looked around and re-read this month's CPC I think I will go for a Gigabyte 460 - especially as it's £30 cheaper and the same speed after being OC'd - what software would be best for this? Only I read somewhere that Gigabyte haven't updated / released theirs...

I'll also go for some 1600MHz RAM - can someone tell me if there's any real difference between these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/191178

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173122

I'm only asking as the one with the lower CL is cheaper (which doesn't make sense unless I'm missing something)

Finally - with regards the 2nd RAM kit posted above - the comments suggest that in order to get it to run at 1600MHz you need to overclock it - would this be by upping the base clock to 160MHz? Would doing that also mean that the CPU was overclocked?

Thanks again! Nearly there - I can feel it!:thumb:

16. favst89

favst89 New Member

I've used MSI afterburner to oc my gigabyte card as has pretty much everyone else and its over clocked quite highly.

I'm not sure why the cl9 is more expensive than the cl7/8 though on scan the cl9 version is about £75. The latency values don't make much real life difference.

To get it to run at 1600mhz you will need to over clock the cpu either to 160mhz bclock or 200mhz bclock while using the 8x memory multiplier. You can probably over clock the cpu with a 160mhz bclock without any voltage increase if you turn turbo boost, mine can, turbo boost can be left on with the 160 bclock if I up the voltage by 50mv so not much at all.

17. GeorgeK

I'll have to keep an eye open on scan for the CL9 version to come back in stock - wouldn't complain about saving £20!

Yeah - After reading some guides I was thinking of going along the 160MHz bclock with 10x multiplier to get 1600MHz - would then that mean that the CPU was running at 160x21 = 3.36GHz? And this would be ok by either 1) turning Turbo Boost off in the BIOS or 2) upping the voltage by 0.05v? Is that the CPU VTT? If so, what is it set to by default?

Cheers!

GK

18. favst89

favst89 New Member

Sounds like your getting the i5 760? Mines on 160 bclock till I get a better heatsink.
    The cpu will probably run at 3.36 with turbo off and standard voltage settings. You may be able to turn turbo on without voltage but I expect you will need a little more. I increased my cpu v-core from 1.2 to 1.25 and enabled load line calibration, the cpu clock drive from 800mv to 900mv and the pch to 1.05. I think the cpu pll is on default still. The turbo lets a single core get to almost 4ghz.

To get the memory to run at 1600 its probably best to enter the voltage manually, if you go with the xms3 it will be 1.65v though you may get away with less, mines on 1.64 quite happily, not tried lower (gigabyte boards seem to have either 1.64 or 1.66, 1.66 is slightly over intel spec though not enough to worry about). The qpi/vtt should be within 0.5v of the ram voltage I think, mines at 1.2v currently. This is regardless of turbo or anything else enabled/disabled.

This is quite a good overall guide covering a few manufacturers motherboards its aimed at the i5-750 but there's no real difference to the settings when your over clocking, but if your over clocking to 160bclock you will need very little extra voltage even with turbo boost still on.

One last thing is that some features like eist or core suspend states to save power may disable themselves, if set on auto, when over clocking, personally I'd force them back on, they won't limit an over clock to 160.

edit; the voltages i've put here are my settings but you may need a little more or be able to run it with a little less.

19. GeorgeK

Right then - time for an update

After people's advice on here I'm now at the following (I'll put changes in bold)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 - dabs £85
    GPU: Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI - ebuyer £169

PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650 - scan £85
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - ebuyer £42
    Case: Cooler Master CM690II Advanced - scan £76
    Optical Drive: LiteOn 24x DVD RW - scan £14
    CPU: Core i5 760 - ebuyer £154
    HSF: Titan Fenrir - Scan £29

RAM: Corsair CL9 1600MHz 4GB (2x2GB) CMX4GX3M2A11600C9 - scan £74
    Wifi: Tenda Wireless-N300 USB Adapter - ebuyer £13

Total (including a couple of extra case fans and delivery) - £879

Any further thoughts anyone? Otherwise I may well press the buy button(s) :D Exciting! :D

20. roosauce

Looks awesome :)