1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build for v.light gaming / general

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TrevDX, 3 Jan 2012.

1. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

My housemate has been enjoying playing Civ 5 on my PC and now I need to get my PC back :D

So with that in mind I'm thinking of maybe doing some minor upgrades to my system and then building him a new PC to replace his slow as a snail P4 PC....

So far I have :

Budget: As Little as possible really.

Main uses of intended build: V.Light gaming (i.e. Civ 5 on a 1280x1024 monitor) and general usage.

Parts required: This is a bit tricky!

I'm thinking of giving him my case and PSU and upgrading mine, as my computer was put together on a budget and whilst I have had no problems with my PSU and Case I would like to allow me to add an additional GTX570 to my system and ensure cooling is sufficient. Also he can have my old Mobo as I have a new one on the way. (I'll cover mine in a separate thread)

So really it's CPU, RAM, HDD, Cooler (if necessary), GPU

Previous build information (list details of parts): We'll salvage his old wireless keyboard and mouse and monitor (he can upgrade them when he wants!)

Monitor resolution: 1280x1024 (I think). It's old but looks lovely once it's had a dusting ;)

Storage requirements: I'm thinking of 500GB

Will you be overclocking: no

Extra information about desired system:

The mobo I have is a Sandy Bridge Z68 so I was thinking of a :

i3 2100

4GB RAM (Don't think make or model is really going to be an issue with the exception of clearance)

Samsung F3 500GB HDD (and that hurts as I believe I paid a lot less for my 1TB than the same make/model in 500GB but I know why).

Does anyone know if the i3 comes with a stock cooler? Or is it better to add an Akasa Cooler or similar?

The GPU is where I'm stuck. I don't want anything that will draw too much power or chuck out too much heat and he won't play anything along the lines of Crysis, BF3, etc. so it doesn't have to be capable of playing the latest or greatest games he may however want Skyrim due to his obsession of dragons but if he could just play that on low settings at his resolution I think he'd be happy.

I've used Scan for reference and whilst the service I've had before has been great I'm not afraid of finding a bargain from another site if available.

Also I think it's worth pointing out that I won't be buying this in the next week but more than likely over the next month or two and I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm looking out for.

2. S1W1

S1W1 Active Member

The i3 does come with a stock cooler which is perfectly adequate for stock speeds. Whether or not to buy an aftermarket cooler really depends on how much you care about noise- aftermarket coolers will be queiter than the stock HSF.

For the graphics card I would recommend an HD6770 at the lowest, or if you want something slightly stronger the HD6850 1gb or a GTX 460 1GB both offer great value for money with low-mid performance.

3. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

I agree with above, the GTX 460 1GB is a great little card, and will be perfect for Skyrim at decent detail.

4. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Member

I'm running Skyrim on high settings with an 8800gt on 1400x900 res so a 460, even a 6770 would be fine for ultra

5. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Thanks guys. Time to start scouring for 460's.

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Well-Known Member

Defo a 460, you can get a superclocked for £112 and at 1280 x 1024 you can set every game to high/ultra

7. barney magru

barney magru New Member

for the hd try the seagate barracuda ST500DM002. Generally the cheapest at the mo, can be found for £63.

No need to stretch to a 460/6850 for his needs, a 6770 will be more than enough and will only cost you 70-75 rather than 110-120 (check dabs/scan).