1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build PC really hanging!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eviljaxx, 14 Mar 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:confused:

Just... drivers or Vista-ness?

2. Eviljaxx

Eviljaxx What's a Dremel?

Hey,

Reading all your comments and just to confirm a few things...

All the Hard drives are SATA II the WD Raptors are the 10k drives while the 1.5 TB drive is 7200k and the Optical drive I am using is an Lg Blu-Ray Reader/Writer drive.

I am not 100% sure the DDR3 Ram is compatible with the i7 I used went with the max supported by the motherboard and the max processor supported by the board as it was an i7 :)

The Zoostorm Titan worked fine on the Dell we upgraded to work with the 260 GTX and if I remember Zoostorm is a sub company of Coolermaster :thumb:

Thanks for replys!

3. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Can you confirm what drives are connected to which controllers, and what mode each controller is in?

Something else you might try is installing from a USB CD/DVD drive, assuming the BIOS has decent USB support. That takes the SATA and IDE controllers out of the picture if the problem is loading from the DVD.

4. Eviljaxx

If I am understanding correctly by the term modes this is what I have tried...

I have tried both WD VelociRaptor in single drive mode on different SATA ports on the Motherboard and also tried them individually on the G-SATA port and the hanging installation of Vista and memory dump installation of XP happens all the same.

I also tried them in RAID 0 on port 0/1 on the Motherboard and again it does the same hanging and crashing problems.

To double check it wasnt the drives that where dodgy I tried my WD 1.5 TB in single configaration and the same problem happens with that drive so I dont think its the drives.

Do you guys think that the Memory being 1.9V could be the problem as when I look at the Corsair GT 2000MHZ that is rated at 1.65V so maybe its that as some mentioned further up the thread!

Cheers

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1.9V!!

What CPU voltage are you running?

How hot is the board and CPU running?

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

That PSU seems to retail for a fair whack of cash, £80-100 so I would expect it to be at least able to run the system at stock.....

That said I haven't heard of it before.

Also Vista can do this with some configs, just takes an age to go through the set up if it finds somthing it doesn't like. Try install on a single drive with the raid controller off.

7. Eviljaxx

Hey,

All I know is that the Default Voltage for the i7 is 1.2V and that is what it is set at I have not changed that in any way and the Super Talent Project X ram runs at 1.9V and that is stock Voltage also.

CPU is running around 32C
    Motherboard is running around 31C
    GPU is running around 42C

Case I am using is the Coolermaster RC-1100 V2 Cosmos S Sport

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You do NOT want the memory at 1.9V and the CPU at 1.2V - the maximum memory voltage you should run without risking CPU damage is 1.65V, unless you compensate by over-volting the CPU Uncore area as well.

Turn down the memory voltage, set it all to default values and try again.

9. nickinUK

nickinUK What's a Dremel?

Hi mine used to do the same installing Vista untill I pulled all memory and left just 1 gig in to install (usually running 4 gig) it then didn't stall at all.
    Slipstreamed sp1 into install disk and that fixed the problem for me

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I never tried that. I installed with 6Gb. I'll be damned if I'm gonna re-install though just to find out :hehe: