1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build Rig Plan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vegettoxp, 23 May 2010.

1. vegettoxp

vegettoxp What's a Dremel?

Hello there Guys, I was working on my Blue-Print Template for my Next Rig and I thought I get your guys advise before I start. I was looking around the next and it looks like building a new Rig right now might not be a good idea, because later next Year Intel is coming out with a new Sandy-Bridge Platform for High-End User and If I build one now, I will be screwed later next year. I have learned one thing and that is you can never keep up with Technology, something new is always coming.

So after all this, What Would You Guys Recommend me doing in this situation? Should I start building my new Rig or wait until next year to build my new Rig when all the new tops come out. The Big issue with me is CPU Socket (New one in 2011 (LGA2011). You guys can see my Current Rig Config in my Signature.

Please share with me your Thoughts on this Big Plan, the more input, the better idea I have if I should start or wait for my Next Rig. Thank you in Advance Guys.

Josh:rock:

2. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Depends on how much cash you really have to spend, and the frequency you'd spend it.
    I am still using a Pentium 4, Socket 478 currently... so buying a 980X works for me. Max of 8 cores with Sandy Bridge, in about a year, if all goes as planned, without delays etc.

Have to weigh up what is out and certain with what is coming and uncertain, I guess.
    So for me, at least, 6 cores is going to be good for quite a while.
    As you said, you can never keep up with tech, and there will always be something new.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Possibly a more beafy GPU or enhanced cooling so you can overclock your CPU more? As both of these can be carried over to a new build...

4. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

I know what you mean vegetto, it's almost a double edged sword. But it all depends on the amount of cash you're willing to spend and if you can actually wait until 2011. I mean when the products first come out the motherboard with the new socket and the cpu is going to cost you ALOT in the first month of sales.
    There is a kind of half way house - you could build an in-trim build to last you for about a year and then buy the new parts when it's been out for a few months... mind you then I'm sure there would be something bigger and better coming out!
    I feel I've not really helped you out here lol! Sorry!

5. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

The question is why havent you overclocked that lovely QX9770 to 4Ghz? Update your graphics card and hold on till 2011. Intel will have its new socket out and amd may have Bulldozer ready.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I've the same Problem, and I'm hanging on to my Core2Duo E8400 @ 3200 + ATi 4870 until there comes some real improvements around the corner.

Additionally, there's no games around or even announced so far, that would justify an upgrade of your rig currently.

The only improvement worth it atm is a good SSD (80GB intel X-M) for your OS and the software and a RAMdisk for the swap and tempfiles maybe, if you don't have something like this allready.

7. vegettoxp

Yup, I agree with you guys. If I have to wait until 2011, I have no issues waiting, it's just that 6cores sounds really cool and my crazy habbits, I want to build a new rig evert 4 to 5 years. Ther eis nothing wrong with my current rig, I just bought a new Case (CM Cosmos S) and I thought to myself why now start a new rig.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yeah, more cores do sound nice indeed, but there's not alot of software around, that makes any good use of them... let alone games.

9. vegettoxp

Now that I agree with you. The hardware is way ahead of software and those 6cores will only work if software is out there. Alot of this New Rig stuff is gona happen if I get hooked up with the new 6core Extreme Edition Processor. That is how I got my QX9770 for Free, Connections.

Also my other reason is that couple of things on my current board are not working right, for example some of the USB don't work and I have other minor issues with it. If I were to replace my current Asus Maximus Formula SE with another one, (Same Processor Socket -LGA775) what would you guys recommend?

Also while I am at it, what would you guys recommend as of Good SSD Drive? This will be my Main HD and as for size, I am looking at 80GB and up. I have seen alot of of them out there, but I just wanted to ask if you guys have any Favorites, Please share!

Last edited: 24 May 2010
  10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I've read a ton of stuff about SSDs over at http://www.anandtech.com/

Seems like you can't do anything wrong with the intel 80GB X-M G2.

11. vegettoxp

Yup, I agree with you guys, I don't want to spend too much money on another 775 motherboard, I will checkout GA-EP45-UD3L and just a quick glance, it looks petty good and price is right too. I am glad that you guys recommened me the Intel SSD, I guess you can say I am Intel Fanboy. So after reading your guys comments, it looks like that you guys are recommending me to do the following:

1) Update my current (some probem MB) with a Cheap GA-EP45-UD3L
    2) Add a SSD to my current syste.

Right?

Thank You Guys!