1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New build with GTX275 hangs in every 3D app

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by _Metal_Guitar_, 23 Jun 2009.

1. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ New Member

Hello all.

I just orderd and built a new system (4 days ago now), I installed Vista Ultimate x64 and my chipset, sound and gfx drivers (all latest certified) and then installed Vistas 2 service packs.

Everything from desktop was fine. I then installed a game (Prototype) and loaded it with no problems. I configured video and control settings ok, and started a new game. About 5 minutes into the first mission the system locked up. No restart, no BSOD, no error message of any kind.

I restarted the PC and got into windows again no problem. I tried Warhead, same problem, crashed within a couple of minutes of gameplay. I then tested an older game (COD: 2) and experienced the same problem.

I checked my temps CPU: idle - 35 - 38*C / load (prime95) highest I saw was 45*C
    GPU: idle - 37 - 41*C / load (FurMark) highest temp reached before lock up was 73*C

None of that seems at all high to me.

Ran Vistas memtest next for ram, no errors found, double checked by installing last PC's memory, same problem.

Tried a different hard disk with a fresh install of XP, same problem. Also tried various drivers at this point, including the ones that were supplied with the card, same problem.

I thought it was one of two things, bad GPU or bad PSU.

I put my old 8800GT in, crashes were gone...now I know this card doesn't have the power requirements of the GTX275, but still, if it was a faulty PSU surely it would still hang the system.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome! :)

System Specs:

Intel E7400
    Arctic Freezer 7 pro CPU cooling
    ASRock N7AD-SLI
    4GB Geil RAM (2x2) DDR2 800Mhz
    WD250 Caviar
    OCZ StealthXStream 700watt
    Palit GTX275
    Generic mid tower ATX case (1x92mm at rear, 1x120mm fan at front, 1x120mm at the side)

Sorry for the massive post, just wanted it to be detailed.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

i think you need to send back the 275. which you basically answered yourself.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

go in the bios and reset the configuration data.. should be under PnP/PCI configurations.. save, reboot and see if you still lock

4. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ New Member

Thanks for the replies!

I wondered if it was a bios issue, it locked before I'd even changed any bios settings. Then I changed a few settings to see if anything changed, nothing affected the lockups.

Did a bios update aswell thinking maybe the 275 was too new to be supported, set bios to default...nothing, same problem.

Yep, think the 275 is going back sometime soon.
    Thanks again.

5. bluemarvin

bluemarvin New Member

Just one further thought - does your crash occur when the 275's fans speed up? - I don't know what temp. they start speeding up, but given that the 275 needs more power than your 8800 then perhaps when the fans demand more juice it trips the PSU - trying a different PSU might be worthwhile if you can lay your hands on one. Clearly your new PSU should have enough grunt but I'm suspecting PSU protection sensitivity might be the cause of my similar problem - but I don't know whether I can adjust or not.

PS I can confirm my problem was due to the PSU - I bodged up a 300W no brand PSU I rescued from the skip and lo and behold the video test ran!

Last edited: 25 Jun 2009