1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New cheap pc for the parents....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jopers1986, 29 Dec 2009.

1. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Those atom things are pretty weak, if your not geeky enough to keep the install streamlined enough they run pretty slow.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176488

Not pretty but those specs are pretty mad for £220....

MaverickWill likes this.
  3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

As long as they're not massive Youtube fanatics, they'll do. Course, they'll need a monitor, etc. You could probs pick up a cheapy refurbished laptop from somewhere for a similar price, maybe?

Get the 1GB Revo and upgrade it yourself, though. It's just laptop RAM.

EDIT: Ninja'd. That's awesome, bungle. Rep!

4. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

ah they have a monitor, the IBM thinkcentre i picked up for a 5er earlier on in the year is starting to cough..... but that tower is a bit tasty, might have an old lian li in the loft i can stick it all in.... don't think they even know what youtube it tbh, old fashioned types! my 87 year old nan is as good with her mobile as my mum is!

as far as keeping them streamlined the only software they seem to install is crappy spam fighters... and then uploading pictures so that shouldn't really be a problem....

with those little things, need to consider a DVD drive too....

cheers chaps!

5. GingerFox

GingerFox New Member

These all seem to be recomending pre built systems, but to go down the building your own route, Go for the cheapest motherboard you can find, a dual core celeron, 2gb of ram and an 80gb HDD, theres a £7 case on ebuyer thats great, that will cost you around £170/180, and its actually quite powerful. :thumb:

Last edited: 31 Dec 2009
  6. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

If you give parents computers, you don't want to be hassled every day for tech support. That, to me, is priceless.

7. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Exactly, everytime i come down to stay with my parents i seem to spend half the time fixing the computer, or telling them why it's slow etc.... need somthing simple they can use.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'd build a system around an AMD processor and a 780G (or similar) based motherboard.