1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning New concept (OSIDIAS), The CNC arrives!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by craigbru, 6 Feb 2009.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Yes, it will be a fun experience all the way around. I've not used CNC in 20 years, so it will be new all over. However, at least I've kept up on my CAD. You know I'll get it dirty!

I do remember him saying that. The biggest pieces I have to cut are the side panels. I can get carbide end mills for about $8 a piece, and I'll try and get plenty on hand. End mills specifically for composites like carbon fiber, are around $80... so I'd like to avoid that unless I know they would last a long time.

I can buy a hell of a lot of end mills for what water jet would cost me. So, I'm going to tackle this myself. I don't want to outsource if I can help it, especially if I have capable equipment myself.

2. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

I would love to own a waterjet. But they are very expensive. A year ago I went at looked at a used waterjet for sale here in Portland Oregon. It was $25k for the waterjet itself, and that was how they advertised it, what they didn't say was that the Pumps and support gear was another $100k!!! And that was a 4ftx2ft machine.

You can get a brand new 4ftx8ft CNC Router for less then $20k. And small machines like the one Craig is getting for FREE, the *******, complete for about $4k.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2010
  3. craigbru

Exactly, waterjets are nowhere near cheap. As such, the cost to have work done, isn't cheap either. Remember, before I knew I was getting the CNC, I fully expected to do all the cutting with a scroll saw. I have no idea how long that would have taken, but I figured it would be worth it in the end. Now that I've got an easier method of getting things done, I'll just have to make more complex designs... :D

4. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

redoing the renderings!!!!!
    oh sweet mercyful mother of............
    your an evil man
    now we will have to wait even longer

5. craigbru

Nah, hopefully it shouldn't be that bad. I'll just add more detail to what I already have. When you think you'll have to do all your work by hand, there are certain things you sometimes simplify. I no longer need to do that. :D I've got to translate a lot of my 3D parts to 2D for milling, and I'll make the changes then.

6. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

FFFFFUUUUUUU-

(sorry but this was just too fitting to my emotions...) :D ;)

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

id sooner have a cnc router than a cnc waterjet. you cant do 3D with waterjet.

8. disturbed13

yeah i definitely know that

Last edited: 13 Mar 2010
  9. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Most people I have seen using their routers don't really do 3d stuff anyway. You need smarter programs to generate the g-code than when you're doing simple 2d shapes. The structure of the routers don't really lend to 3d as well as a mill construction would.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Mostly I think it's the fact that the software to do such things costs more than the machines.:(

11. disturbed13

without all of the programming in the world
    a machine is just a pile of metal
    nothing more then just a paper weight

12. craigbru

Lol, trust me, it's been a long wait here too. Only 2 days now! :D

No, you can't. not that I need to do a lot, but it's nice to have the ability. There are some great youtube videos of this machine running with a 4th axis, as well as doing regular 3D work. It's quite impressive.

Yeah, well, no matter what project I start, things tend to get more complicated as time progresses. This machine isn't going to help any. :D

The cost of the software is definitely an issue. Regardless of the value of the machine, software could easily run me up to $1000 for full 3D capability. If I kept it simple, it's closer to $300. Which is what I'll likely do to start. I'll move to 3D when the need arises, but I don't think I'll need it on this project in particular.

13. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Try EMC2. It's free.

14. craigbru

So, it looks like EMC2 is just a g-code interpreter. I'd still need a program to generate the code. I don't suppose there is a free version of something like that? :D

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Cambam. I'm deeply in dept to the person who pointed it out to me. The 2.5d beta version is free.

16. craigbru

Wow, thanks Cheaps! That looks like an outstanding option. Is it pretty easy to work with?

17. craigbru

Are you guys ready for this?

Well, it's finally arrived! Thanks to Ron Rogers of Romaxx for making this possible. What you are about to see is the unboxing of a shiny new HS-1 CNC router.

This machine is considered a tabletop CNC, and as such, doesn't take up a lot of space. Since I work primarily in small form factor, this will fit 99% of every need I have. Even though it's a compact design, this thing arrived to me in a 125 pound box. 105 pounds of that is the machine itself. If weight is any indicator of strength, then this thing is a beast.

So, shall we look at a few pics of this thing?

The box...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's crack this thing open. It's definitely well packed, and bolted through the bottom of the crate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now, but I'll follow up once the machine is setup in the shop. Until then!

18. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

woah ! that's a nice looking cnc :D
    have fun xD

19. craigbru

Thanks man! I'm heading home now, and I'll get it set up in the shop. I'm not sure how soon I will have it running, but I'll do my best!

20. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What a cute little thing, wouldn't mind having one of those around :)