1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning New concept (OSIDIAS), The CNC arrives!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by craigbru, 6 Feb 2009.

1. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Oh man I need to learn how to render like that. Anyone recommend any decent Kerkythea (sketchup) tutorials?

2. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Nice looking renders... Your own are not that bad either. :)

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I'm not certain, but I believe there are some tutorials on Kerkythea's site.

Thank you, but I'd need a whole lot more practice to match D~3's. :D

4. craigbru

Okay, thanks in part to partial inspiration from this thread, I came up with an idea I'm going to expand on. I've long thought about having fun with transparent LCD's, but redders' thread made me consider it all over again. So, it was time for a little experiment. The following is a standard 7" LCD removed from it's housing, and with all backing and polarizing film removed. What we have here, is what I intend to use as the side panel windows on OSIDIAS. For lack of a better term, I'll call them active windows. You can see that as long as there is a light source behind the LCD, dark objects and text is shown through. Granted, colors would be washed out, but the concept is still sound...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This could be fun!

5. shomann

shomann Minimodder

You crazy wonderful insane genius. This was already looking like a top 1% buildup, but oh no, you just can't leave at that. The only problem is that your worklog will not move fast enough to keep the rest of us happy.

Rock on brother.

6. craigbru

Haha, thanks man. You're right, I just can't leave it. This is exactly how things started snowballing with Rogue... and we all know how that turned out. So, I doubt I could move fast enough for anybody, most of all myself, but the planning is one of the best parts. I was hoping to take the case to Nvision this year, but since it is canceled, I've no longer got an August deadline. I'm thinking PAX might be a fun trip though... :D

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

digging the layout, The screen idea is insane, ingenious even

8. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

that is just too awesome for you to be human.

9. craigbru

Aw, thanks guys... :blush:

Ideas are one thing, execution is another. :D

10. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

The dynamic windows are a great idea.. Are you going to get the signal to them from the epia setup or some other source?

11. craigbru

Thank you. Yes, the windows will be Epia powered. :thumb:

12. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Heh... Is this one of the first cases that feature an additional setup just to run the effects on the case ? :D

13. craigbru

Lol, I guess I never thought about it like that.

14. groosome

groosome What's a Dremel?

When I first saw the concept image my first thought was "hmmm he is making an Inverter generator".

Looks so much like one it's uncanny. If it's going to be anything like the rogue mod it's going to be pretty sweet.

I wonder how easy it is to rip the guts out of one of those generators and PC mod it.... hmmmm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Apr 2009
  15. craigbru

Haha, it does kind of look like a generator, doesn't it? Thankfully it will be a little smaller than that. :D

16. craigbru

It's been awhile since I've posted an update. So, I figured I'd get you all up to speed on how I've been spending my time. Project: Hutch will be getting some long overdue attention soon, but in the meantime, I've got some new hardware to play with. Although I've not started an official log, there have been some parts arrivals for Project OSIDIAS.

I've got an Asus Rampage GENE II, Intel i7 920, 6GB OCZ Platinum, and a SilverStone DA1000 PSU freshly delivered. I'll be pairing the new parts with my existing EVGA GTX 260's. There may be a video card switch in the near future, but I'm using what I already have for the moment. Also arriving shortly, will be a slot load Blu-ray drive. All the above parts will be the heart of OSIDIAS, and I'll have a running system long before the project is actually finished.

So, how about a few hardware pics?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As of now, I've got most of my software and games installed. Although I've only been using the hardware a short while, I can tell you this... It's the best hardware combination I've ever used. Everything is rock-solid, and I've not had a single error or glitch in two weeks of a fresh Vista 64 install. I'm really looking forward to getting the CPU on water and hitting the overclocks. Stay tuned!

17. craigbru

Sometimes we all need to get away for a little while. I did exactly that a short time ago. I left the cold of a Nebraska ice storm, and hit the sunny beaches of Daytona. To give you some idea of the contrast between the two, take note of the following pictures. There's nothing like going from subzero temps, to an amazing 88 degrees in just a few hours. In fact, I went from slipping on ice, to eating ice(cream) in a pair of shorts. Gotta love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now finally, one more thing... After I got back, I decided to add one more thing to my shop. I've been using regular bar stools in there, but they get uncomfortable after a while. So, I decided to get creative. I just happened to have a pair of front seats from 1980 Jeep CJ-5. With a little modification I made one of the following. It swivels, and is dang comfy. Now I've just got one more reason to stay in the shop longer...

[​IMG]

18. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

wow that's some nice hardware !
    I'm probably going to get the same motherboard when I'll go i7.

maybe you should start a thread in the worklogs ?

19. craigbru

Thanks mate! I'm pretty sure the board would do you proud.

I'll start a thread in the worklog section once I get some real work done. I've still got to finish Project: Hutch, for the ever patient Hutch. Lol.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

that chair does look comfortable, but looks top heavy.

I think alot of hardcore gaming motherboards will move onto the mATX plateform, makes more sense for lan parties.

Props for EVGA for making the first SLI mATX board, glad to see you've got one!