1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New console

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 23 Sep 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

theres a new player app which pulls from usb , so they are fixing the streaming issue

2. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I'm on the preview for XBL and they are continually making updates. Anyway back OT....

I have an XB1 and I like it now, it's starting to get some games that are worth playing and I leave it in quick boot mode which is nice as it'll load in about 10 seconds.

I only bought the XB1 as I didn't get on with the PS3 last gen and so my friends are all on XBL and if it wasn't for that I might have bought a PS4 :/ it's definitely high on the list of things I want.

I think it all really comes down to friends and if there are exclusives your kids can't live without.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm leaning towards the XBone, but time, price and further research will tell.

Thanks for your input, guys, I appreciate it.

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

No need to decide yet, surely - plenty of time to try and elicit their preference without them catching on.

6. David

That's why I'm asking for information 3 months beforehand :lol:

7. Porkins' Wingman

How does what we think affect your kids' preferences?

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the voice commands are really good on xbone, busting for the loo watching a film, remote other side of the room, "xbox pause"

I have mine set so that when I say "xbox on" it turns tv and sky box on as well and "xbox turn off" turns it all off again

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

In all honesty I found the voice commands to be a gimmick, it's easier to just use the controller.

10. Porkins' Wingman

In my very limited experience the voice controls were laughable. My brother was shouting at his because it wouldn't process a single thing he said. There was background noise from a couple of people talking on the other side of the room, so maybe you just need silence, but how that's compatible with movies/music and social occasions etc. IDK.

11. David

I was responding to your "no need to decide yet" remark, if it wasn't obvious. :)

My point was that I'm researching this early so I can form an opinion and fish for info from the kids without it being blatantly apparent. Their preference does matter, but I wouldn't spend money on a particular console if the general consensus was that it was a lame duck. Hence my earlier remark on the Wii U.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so a quick poll of my teenage son and his friends says PS4 - xbox is ***

and words to that effect...

so yeah PS4 matey

13. David

**sigh**

Not looking for fanboy-type statements. If they have a PS4, I'm interested in their opinion of it's good and bad points, ditto for the XBone, I not interested in their opinions of a console they don't own/live with.

14. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

It's been a week since I've had both consoles and for me the xbox one is the one I have been playing the most. For some reason I cannot get on with the PS4 controller. Just finished Watchdogs on the xbone (great game, just not for kids). Now I'm going to force myself to play the PS4 and get some hours under my belt and then ill be able to give some more info

15. David

Cheers mate.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you honestly think you`ll get that from a teen? really?

they want to play fifa 15 with their mates , and if all their mates have PS4 , well you know the rest.

17. David

Ummm, you're the one who posted the results of your poll of teenage boys. Exactly what I didn't ask for. If you have nothing constructive to add, I'd rather you didn't post at all.

Thanks

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I had both (Xbox at launch and PS4 a little after) but have since departed with my consoles due to bills... plan on getting both again next year once the expense of Christmas is out of the way.
    Most of my experience was with the Xbox One as I had it longer so can't compare the two equally.

Xbox One:
    Pros
    Highly active online community for multiplayer games.
    Great selection of media streaming choices to go along with the games.
    Very nice UI to navigate around the system.
    Lots of servers for most games.
    Highly expandable storage with the use of external drives.
    Pretty good turn-around on repairs (if something should happen) - from experience with Xbox 360 faults.
    Updates come out very quickly for games and for the console itself, the download server is pretty damn quick too.
    The new Kinect is vastly improved over the older model and has some nice functions to it.

Cons
    Massive console, it takes up a bit more space than I'd like.
    The controller feels a bit too big in my hands and is a little uncomfortable as I have to more or less claw-grip it with both hands.
    The online community sometimes seems a bit young (the hoards of 13-15 year old teens can get annoying) and sometimes overdo the memes and Internet jokes.

My overall opinion from 5-6 months of use:
    I really enjoyed the general feel of the console, the interface was very nice to use and as someone who enjoys all media it provided a great complete package for my use.
    The game selection is good and the online community, though a little young & obnoxious on popular shooter/racing titles is mostly quite friendly and good to play alongside.
    I'd love for Microsoft to release a newer version with a reduced size as I don't like having to sit the massive block on top of my TV stand, awkwardly positioned in what little space is behind my TV. It would fit if I removed my 360 as that's equally chunky (an original Elite model).
    I really like the functionality of the new Kinect, it felt very fluid and I found myself using it a lot more for general navigation of the UI than I thought I would.
    Being able to plug in an external HDD is a massive bonus to me, as I tend to install everything I can and don't often uninstall games or media so being able to add more storage is a highly sought feature.

PS4:
    Pros
    Love the controller design, the touch pad works really well and the smaller size is a bonus as my hands are slightly small.
    PSN Plus is a fantastic value for money deal and often has a great selection of games.
    It fits in my narrow TV stand very nicely with room for ventilation.
    Game streaming works very nicely.
    Strong third party support.
    Lots of fun playing little party games with my niece on local multi-player (she's 10), though still nothing compares to LBP on the PS3.
    I prefer the PS Trophy system a little more than the XBL Achievements.
    You can play a game whilst it installs! - I love this feature, all machines should plan to utilize it.

Cons
    The update service isn't as reliable or quick to patch bugs as Microsoft's.
    Relatively slow download speeds compared to XBL.
    Lack of support for external storage drives.
    Angry gamers on the multiplayer, lots of them.

My overall opinion from 2 months of use:
    The UI runs smooth but I don't quite like the layout of it, it just feels that you have to navigate through a few more screens than what should be needed.
    The size and aesthetics of the console are very pleasing as it fits perfectly in the space of my TV stand where my PS3 lives, so they have a nice little home next to each other. I haven't noticed any heating or noise issues, so it seems the compact size hasn't impacted on cooling.
    PSN is one of my favourite store-fronts on a console, it's got just the right design for me and always has a good selection available when signed up to PSN Plus... sort of like having an Amazon Prime/Netflix subscription.
    I hated what experiences I had of online play, the community were absolutely overkill on aggression and constantly throwing profanities left, right and centre so that might make it a little unsuitable for children.
    I really enjoy the little quirky games on the PSN that have local co-op multiplayer, they tend to be really fun for me and my niece.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2014
    David likes this.
  19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

should note that you can easily put a larger 2.5" drive in to the PS4. as every game on Xone and PS4 needs to install these days, so if you want convenience of a consoles where you put a disc in an play a larger drive will be a boon as you can leave the installs on, 500Gb is not enough, I filled a terabyte on my PS3 and as games are only getting bigger with higher quality assets I see no reason i wouldn't need more from PS4 rightout of the gate, so I put a big drive in from the off.

20. David

Thank you, suenstar, that is brilliant.

The external storage facility on the xbox is appealing, but I'm yet to be convinced by the Kinnect thing - the one on our 360 never gets used.

I think the adolescent ranters are an unfortunate presence on any online gaming network, and not just the consoles. My son handles it better than I - he takes it as a measure of just how much he's thrashing someone when they start ranting and just shrugs it off, with something like "haters gunna hate".

My neighbour mentioned the controller comparison just last night - he has the XBone and his mate has a PS4, and he prefers the PS4 controllers to his own.

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort. Thanks again.