1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU New CPU & Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KD88, 12 Dec 2015.

1. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Having sussed that my i5 2550K has failed, research into a new prossesor & mobo at reasonable cost has led me to an Intel i5 4690K and ASRock Z97 Pro4 which I can get for a combined price of £265.

As I've not kept up with the latest trends and technology for a while, what are the thoughts of the Bit-tech community?

Last edited: 12 Dec 2015
  2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Very unusual to have a CPU fail. I've actually never heard of it yet, without physical damage that is. If you have a 4690k its almost certainly still under warranty anyway. Have you looked into that?

3. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Hiccup on my original post, see edit.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I have to agree. It is far more likely that the motherboard died instead of the processor. How did you get to the conclusion that it's dead??

5. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Because the led that signifies there's a fault with the cpu is lit but the others aren't.

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Takes a lot to pop a cpu nowadays and I agree with the sentiment it's likely the board.

Anyone you could borrow a cpu from? Failing that a cheap pentium / celeron can be had from cex for not much.

Though that's only if you can be bothered and have the time to test a little deeper.