1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding New custom built case project for my pc- need a name!!!! starting soon

Discussion in 'Modding' started by x06jsp, 27 May 2008.

1. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

ok guys well this is a project that im hoping to do over the summer.

All the bits will be bent (with my new 760mm sheet metal bender) out of 1.5mm alu and the bits joining them are alternating black and green acrylic that will be glued together then rounded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what you think about this??

Josh

Last edited: 3 Jul 2008
  2. Teyber

Teyber ******

looks very nice :D pics of your brake?

only thing im worried about is looks like those green things won't be very strong... hope im wrong though

regards

3. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Love the modular concept, looking forward to this one.

4. x06jsp

I dont have pics of my brake atm. Im pretty sure they will be fine they are just for show there will be a bolt running through each of them.

Thanks rocket that was my aim to design and build a completely modular case that i could allways just at more parts to if i ever felt the need to

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

interesting, reminds me of something futuristic, i think it will turn out really awsome... make sure you make a project log :D

6. x06jsp

thanks. and dont worry i will be making a log :thumb:

7. x06jsp

ooops forgot to put the hdd housing in so im gunna have a bit of a rethink ill put up my idea in a bit

8. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

i see lots of cable customization in your future.

but seriously go for it this case is gonna be sick!

9. x06jsp

i will be hiding all the cables round the back with the use of some special brackets. im sure i can pull it off so you wont even see most of the cables :thumb:

10. x06jsp

ok guys have the updated design with new supports and hdd cage

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Recoil

Recoil What's a Dremel?

The first layout was better IMO...adding to it like that looks way too spread out. Is there any way to rearrange some of the housings around? The hole right in the middle I think is what is throwing the look off for me, but otherwise this is a great idea.

12. x06jsp

i could show you it with the cd/dvd drive on its side to the right of the hdd housing..

13. x06jsp

or i could develop some kind of supports that connect to both the rad housing and the hdd housing [​IMG]

14. pksjaveed

pksjaveed Nmodz: modding the world

yea you could like use some black rods to connect the middle optical drive, so it will have a kinda-ish levitating look

15. Recoil

Recoil What's a Dremel?

It will be great no matter how it is layed out...it is just what feels right to you. For me though, the housings on the bottom that are beside the mobo housing appear to be generally the same size/shape...this is giving the bottom an "even" feel to it. The additional housings above are taking away from it by adding a lot of open space between the upper housings. I see what you are trying to do, it just looks a bit off to me.

But looking at it again and again, and again, you wouldn't want to cover the window on the mobo housing...so maybe just revert back to the 2nd layout...i don't really know. Have you tried mixing up the arrangement, perhaps raising the mobo housing up and having it supported by some of the other housings?

Like I said, it is what feels right to you. I have OCD, so I look at uniformity and seeing half the design "even", and the other half spaced out is throwing it off for me, but I am just 1 person. I would personally think having the entire layout just be a random assortment, meaning nothing giving it an even feel...if that at all make any sense to anyone :D ?

16. x06jsp

well thankyou :thumb: im sure it will work out. i will probably decide the final setup once all the pods are actually built.

thanks for the input

17. Cs:sMods4YOU

Cs:sMods4YOU What's a Dremel?

ever think of running a green acrylic rod or rods from the big thing on the left to the cd/dvd drive then to the fan housing, thats how i would do it for support and if they are hollow rods, you could run led's through them. just my concept. sorry if that doesent promote any help,
    good luck:dremel:

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd say go with the green layered plexi brackets, and make 'em FAT, (so the side bits don't sag.) You could hollow some of them out for cables. The only problem I see would be possible buckling of the walls around the brackets. Adding 1/4" plexi to the entire wall inside and out might strengthen it, and give you the opportunity to light the brackets.
    The round fan hole clashes with the square holes/windows. I'd make ALL the holes and windows rounded to add shape contrast. -(You know... Make it less 'boxy'.)

cheapskate: making cases to heavy to carry since 2005.

19. x06jsp

the brackets will all be made out of green and black plexi layered and i will make them fat cheap! lol and im taking on your advice about using tile saws!!!

also i will take on those comments thanks guys if you think of anything else tell me :thumb:

20. x06jsp

so what do guys think the second design or the third?