1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors New driver insurance groups.

Discussion in 'General' started by Vimesey, 11 Aug 2009.

1. Vimesey

Vimesey New Member

Hi i was wondering as a 19 year old about to start driving i was trying to find out how expensive insurance would be on cars I am looking at, thugh everywhere i look wants full details which i can't give due to just having a browse for cars currently.

So basically what insurance group is sensible, when does insurance suddenly ramp up for new drivers?

As an example, saw a nice second hand C2 VTR (1.6), which is group 6, i take it that's too high?

Many thanks :thumb:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For a quote try moneysupermarket.com. They want your personal details but car details are flexible.

If you've only just started driving and got 0 no-claims then insurance will be pretty expensive, although it'll vary depending on where you live.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

In my experience insurance groups are only a guide at best. Yes in theory small groups should be cheaper but its not always the case, Theres alot of things to factor into an insurance quote.

I would say that the c2 vtr would be fairly expensive for a new driver, I went with a 306 Dturbo when i started my own insurance, it was faster, and cheaper to insure than nearly all the petrol models i looked at

Unfortunatly as a new driver unless you have plenty of money to spend on insurance your pretty much looking at anything 1.2 or less imo.

4. Ransoman

Ransoman New Member

At the age of 19 i found insurance "up to" group 7 reasonable. Though your new license and no no claims wont help. When you reach 21 pretty much everything is within reach but as i have just found out, group 20 cars remain unfeasable untill you are over 25.

The Citroen is in a good group but the reputation of the particular car to young drivers means it is higher than other group 6's. A mk2 punto sporting is an example of a very good, cheap group 7 car.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I bought a C2 VTS at 22 with 0 no claims bonus. Not a new driver, but I hadn't driven for a few years while at uni. The first year of insurance was around £1600 (4 years later, my current group 17 car is just over 1/4 that!)

Seems to me that when I was first looking at cars group 1-2 were the cheapest (obviously) and then 3-7 were gradually a little bit more until it skyrocketed at group 8. The groups are very much a guide though, make sure you get some specific quotes before you buy anything and don't bank on one group 6 being the same as another group 6.

Swallow your pride, get a group 1-2 with a piddly little engine and spend the thousands you will save in 3 years on something flash :thumb:

Last edited: 11 Aug 2009
  6. RinSewand

RinSewand New Member

Agree with all the above - get something small it'll be economical, lower tax, and much lower insurance. Pretty much anything you get now will easily do 70mph so that's all you need. As for real quotes - find a picture on the net with a reg plate visible of the model you're after - voila - full details. That's how I did mine - as Krikkit says, the most important details are your personal ones, and you must know those.

RwD

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Its not just the group that matters, a group 6 1.2 petrol will cost you less than a group 6 VTR will, because its a "sporty" car.

As the general advice goes so far, until you've got a bit of no claims you will be looking at a lotta dosh for your insurance.

When I had my first car - a metro 1.3 which was 8 years old at the time - it cost me £1400 to insure it!!!

I now however have a group 14 car for £338 at last renewal :naughty:

8. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

1.4 and under are all feasible, my 1993 Astra 1.4 costs me £600ish/year on insurance (though it IS an estate so it's a bit slower than the C2)

9. Vimesey

Vimesey New Member

Cheers guys been really helpful.

Two nuggets of info; I live on Guernsey, an island of the south coast, so actually i need it to go 35 not 70 as that is our speedlimit :blush:.

So infact its more sporty handling for the tight corners and a bit of acceleration that i'd like.

Also our registration plates our simply 1 to 5 numbers, so i'm not familiar with mainland plates, would i just type the whole plate in or is it a specific bit i'm looking for?

Oh and this is sort of being paid for by my parents, so budget is pretty decent for a first car.

Thanks, keep it coming :D

10. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I started in a '96 Clio 1.2l at 17 and had to pay £1900 for my insurance.

11. Krikkit

For something fairly sporty but with a tiny engine there are a few out there. I'm sure there's a C2 with a 1.2 and the VTS/VTR setup.

Another possibility is a Fiat Punto - not glamorous but the Mk.2 Sporting had decent handling, a great look and a 1242cc engine for cheap insurance cheesecake.

12. RinSewand

RinSewand New Member

For plates on insurance sites most have a database of cars - so you type the plate in and it returns the details. Might not work for guernsey plates though. If not just find the spec of the car and use that instead. I'd reccomend a punto for the handling - mine was shockingly fun, but they aren't the most reliable cars (Mk1).

RwD

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Another vote for a mk2 Punto Sporting. Definitely a fun little car and cheap enough to insure.

Not the final word in reliability, though a friend of mine has one and he has driven it like he's nicked it for 50k miles and it hasn't had too many problems

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Directline wouldn't give me a quote on a C2 VTR or VTS at 19 with 2 years NCB.

I started with a Fiesta 1.25, good car, easy to maintain and the insurance isn't too bad.

15. profqwerty

profqwerty New Member

Get an automatic, from my experience / testing these have been lower to insure (with a manual license). Presumably because they're not blacklisted for being razzed around and crashed...?

16. Krikkit

They're alright as long as you look after 'em. Fix stuff when it sounds broken, don't miss a service, change the oil fairly frequently if you do quite a lot of miles (or drive it like it's stolen) and they're just like any other car tbh.