1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Fan For Megahalems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dramatik, 25 Jul 2011.

1. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

naaah, even at 191x21 qpi wants 1.415, ill just stick with that. well I'm gonna buy a new cooler anyways so was wondering, do I go with the noctua NH d14 or corsair hx 80?

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

NH-D14 I know I may seem a little bias, and the corsair enclosed water loops are good, especially if you have ram clearance problems, but to my mind nothing comes close the NH-D14 on lga 1366, I'd say its real party trick is actually when you really start pushing the volts, (something that bit tech never found out when they reviewed it, as they don't push there hardware as hard as we do because they use it for testing purposes all the time, hence they want it to last) like I had to do with my old chip, thats where it really comes into its own, that is what you need if you want to achieve higher clocks, like 4.4 or something like that, and thing's like the H70 H50, H100 struggle to keep up. Other ones you may want to consider, are the dark rock pro, I'd say that would be second best to the NH-D14.

3. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

koolio, looks like nh d14 it is :D

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

At 191x21 your ram will be 1528MHz on the 8x multi, so nothing that you would notice. Heck, most people wouldnt notice the difference between 1333MHz and 1600MHz, even though there is technically a difference in bandwidth and latency.

As for high end coolers, they are all much of a muchness... the disadvantage of the Silver Arrow and NH-D14 are their sheer size compared to the others, but they do come out on top where peformance is concerned.

5. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

yeah I have noticed the NH d14 is huge. would that fit on my CPU without hitting the ram with 3 sticks on a x58 ud3r

6. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

you should be fine, it fits alright on my x58 board, unless you've got something like corsair vengeance memory you'll be fine, even if you do have a bit of trouble you can always move the fan up, I have to for my corsair memory, in my antec 1200 this means I have to move the fan up and it just touches the window, with about 1 or 2 mm to spare, so use that as a guide :)

7. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

shweeet, i'll order one soon. In regards to 191x21, actually got it stable now, qpi was at 1.415 but now i got it stable at a low 1.215 so im happy, might try pushing the bclk and see what im stable at if i raise the qpi to no higher than 1.3.