1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays new flat panel has fuzzy areas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OneSeventeen, 13 Feb 2008.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I just bought an Acer AL2216W (22" widescreen)

I've bought almost 15 of these already and love them for regular office work. What's odd is the most recent one I purchased has a few "blurry" areas... When I fill the screen with text, I can see certain areas that make the text difficult to read.

I am not sure if this is a graphics card issue, or a monitor issue. (I don't want to have to return it because it is nice having 2 of these 1680x1040 beasts running side-by-side)

It should be noted my left screen works fine with no blurring, the right screen (running off of VGA) has 2 vertical bars of slight blurriness that can only be seen with text.
    I have done factory resets, and I am using the monitor's native resolution.
    Oh, and my video card is an on-board ATI Radeon Xpress 1150. The motherboard has a DVI and VGA output, and apparently HP is totally cool with me using both. (My more expensive Dell machines will not let me use dual monitors with on-board video, I have to choose add-on-card or on-board...)

Any tips for troubleshooting before I box it back up and send it back?

(I have had one with a few dead pixels, and the company replaced it immediately, so returning isn't a problem other than I'd loose tons of screen real-estate)

2. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

My fathers 24" had a similar problem running over VGA, switching to DVI made it crystal clear.

Moriquendi

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Change your refresh rate. My screens do this when they don't like the refresh rate - Just vertical bars of blurry.

4. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Have you swapped the monitor inputs over? If there is still a blurring on the new one after that, then it would be the monitor rather than the motherboard. It might be a good idea to make sure the cable routing is okay too (i.e. no power cables running near the monitor cable).

5. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

what you need for that is a DVI-DL to DVI-I + VGA splitter - and dell do sell them.
    i use a pair of 1707fp's on my GX620 at work - and these are the USFF (mini-btx) optiplexes ... laptop drives and all ...

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I swapped the monitors (put the blurry one on the DVI and the good one on VGA) and it looks great, no problems on either monitor.

This must mean that:
    1. The VGA port is bad on this monitor
    2. It needed a good power cycle to show it who's boss
    3. The VGA cable wasn't seated properly (more likely :duh: )
    Oh and there was only one refresh rate for the VGA monitor: 60Hz

I didn't purchase the dual-monitor card, just the single monitor card, and the motherboard only has a VGA port. My frustration was when I couldn't use both the add-on DVI card AND the on-board VGA. Even if the add-on card does dual (which it isn't supposed to, according to Dell) I'd still want to be able to make use of the on-board VGA in addition to the 1 or 2 monitors the card supports.

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

ah.

got me confused until i went back and re-read the first post ...

Tags: