1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New gaming computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Veles, 10 Jan 2015.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hi all, I'm planning on building a gaming pc for my wife and I to use to replace her laptop. I'm lazy and the idea of overclocking doesn't bring me great joy. I can't really be bothered to do all the tweaking, testing, readjusting, etc. I just want to build it and get it working. For this reason I'm leaning towards a non-overclock option.

Intel i5 4460 - is this going to much significantly worse than the 4690? It adds on quite a bit to get the 4690
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Cooler Master Hyper TX3
    ASRock H97M PRO4 - Gigabyte H97M-HD3
    Fractal Design Define Mini
    8Gb G Skill Ripjaw
    Crucial MX100 250Gb SSD
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB
    MSI GTX 970 - EVGA GTX 970
    Corsair SD450M 450W PSU - Corsair CX430M
    Some cheapo LG DVD Rewriter
    Win 7 Home Premium OEM - Is it worth getting Win 8.1? I've hated using Win 8 and so does my wife
    Cheap PCI-E wireless n card

Comes to just under £900 + postage

How does this sound? Any suggestions?

Last edited: 11 Jan 2015
  2. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

hi most of that is out of stock or on preorder and the dvd link is duplicate link of the psu

but it looks ok :)

3. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Check the max CPU height in the Define Mini buddy, that 212 Evo sits at around 159mm IIRC, fairly tall for an air cooler, great cooler though used it in a few builds but you do need to double check max cooler height (or I will do it for you shortly)

4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Done :

Fractal Define Mini - " Supports CPU coolers with height of ca 160mm ".

It will be a CLOSE fit, with my personal experience I prefer to leave more than 1mm margin of error.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Thanks - updated the DVD link to a different drive - I could probably go without one but it's only a tenner (I remember saying something similar with the unused floppy drive on my last build, which might give you an indication of how old my current rig is!)

Thanks for that, I've changed the cooler to a smaller one that should fit better

Also switched a few components to make up for them being out of stock and to try and consolidate where I'm getting things from

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

What cooler have you chosen? I've often found a different case to suit the 212 Evo as it's a great cooler for the money.

The 212 Evo JUST fits in a Source 210 Elite, and I mean barely. I wouldn't use that combo again personally as it's just too close.

[​IMG]

Regarding the OS, do you have any kids/students in the house? If so it's available for £49.99, if you don't like metro just install classicshell and it looks like windows 7 but with all the added features of 8.1 (proper UEFI support, lightening fast boot times etc).

My advice is any new machine now should be using 8.1, it's a great OS and with the install of classicshell looks no different to windows 7 really.

Also, I know I give Scan a bashing because they do often let me down on postage, however I would always use them over Aria, I've built 100's of machines and used nearly all of the retailers and overall Scan have been the best. Arias customer support is none existent and their shop smells of warm p!ss !.

Also I would opt for a better PSU, the cheap 430w corsair unit is fine for office/home PC's but I wouldn't want to put a 970 through one.

Spend the extra £2 and get the G550M from Scan - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w...id-modular-80plus-bronze-1x120mm-atx-v231-psu

I have used that PSU in quite a few builds recently, including one that's being sent to Birmingham on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jan 2015