1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Gears of War Screenshots. (56k Unfriendly)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DivineSin, 12 Jan 2006.

1. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

You can find them here

They're looking pretty good, not as good as the original demo they ran but still pretty good. I'm very impressed and not that impressed at the same time, the textures have started to look very flat. Anyone else notice this?

Edit: Just to show you what i mean (Click x360 screens for larger picture)

[​IMG]

Compared to...(360 Version)

[​IMG]

and..

[​IMG]

Compared to...(360 Version)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Jan 2006
  2. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I think there's defo been a few 'enhanced' versions of GoW screenies put out in the past, although even the bog standard, obvious grabs still look fab imho. The new Ghost Recon had a problem (I suspect GoW might be having) in that the developers released a series of early build, fantastic screen shots followed a few months later by some pretty poo looking grabs (in comparison). Blaming the difference on them being from a different build of the game and deprived of some graphical effects, they recently cheered fans up by releasing yet another batch from the (virtually) final build that once again resemble the original (and fantastic) screenshots. Confused? Good.

So maybe it's more of the same with this? I dunno.

The real secret is seeing it all in action. The trailers and direct feeds from this game look sensational. There's one out there of a good 20mins+ slab of gameplay at some expo, and it looks stunning.

3. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

i understood all that and it makes sense. as for maybe the same being for this demo, i dont know but likely because i could swear that these pics look similar to pics i have seen a while ago, as the first shot that DS shows looks very similar to the second screen shot shown on this page just at a different angle and with no filter over the pic. only that one of the pic seems to have some effects missing from what we have seen before so im not at all worried that it will be up to expectations.

as for the 20 min. vid your talking about, i think your talking about the demo that they played at the Ground Zero event they held right before launch. it was the same demo that they showed at X05 but unlike before sites were actually showing the second half of the demo when they were going through the mining tunnels. even on a small grainy video the demo looked better then words can describe, and if you hear mark rain (not sure how to spell his name) he tells you that its still not near finished and the final game will run at twice the speed looking even better. this has been the premier game to show off the unreal3 engine since the beginning so i dont expect cliffyB or epic to hold back at all on the final product.

4. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

No it's a 20min video of some guy standing there playing the game.

5. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

anyone can keep doubting me and my knowledge but i knew that these screen seemed old and in fact they are. i knew detail of the pics seemed almost too similar to those pics first shown years ago, well now we know they are old.

mark rein commented on the "new" pics in the BU forums...

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/

in these shots look at the tree's, artists don't "draw" tree's like that... they do however build them in 3dsMax that way. artists dont use flat faces with alpha texture to draw branches or straight sticks of polygons. Thus the clearly polygonal and rather mathematical and patterned assets are not hand drawn. so basically all signs point to yes these are old pics. still impressive considering how much weaker the system to run these pics is compared to the 360. so dont worry DS you wont see the "flat" textures in the final game.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2006
  6. DivineSin

Dude why do you have to bring everything into an arguement? I was saying these images are from the original demo of the engine, you know..the engine that runs the game? It doesnt matter if there of the game or not, there from the engine. And i know for a fact that these images are what the engine can produce because (They are not 'enhanced') i have seen the engine in action, showing these screens in movement and they did look that good.

The 360 version of Gears of War does not live up to what the engine can produce, its sad to say. The pictures of the 360 version are new, I got them off a very popular site, Kotaku (Anyone who knows about PC games and has followed the Unreal Engine knows the first pics are from the UE3's site which you can find here). But as a previous poster stated, they might have not of had time to enhance the 360 version yet as the game isnt to be released for a few months.

Edit: If you want early pictures of the actual game, to prove it doesnt even live up to the early game photo's you can look here
    and here there obviously enhanced stock photo's and not in-game, but its all i could find of the early development of the game. (Obviously probably not running on a 360 dev kit)

7. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

Oh my. how am i bringing anything into an arguement? you are the one argueing with anything i post with or without sources and links.

^where in your original post did you state that these pics were from the original demo of the engine?? because you didnt.

why you point out seeing the egine in action? we have all seen the engine in action and to your point of the 360 not living up to what the engine can really do your nuts. im not joking when i say im really starting to worry about you. you talk about how seeing these pics in motion shows what the engine can really do but then you say that the 360 can not really show what the engine can do when mark rein implies that these pics put the actual 360 game to shame. your info was wrong live with it, its no big deal as sites all around the web are stating these as new pics when they arent and all of those sites are popular sites too.

im not arguing with anyone, just correcting some wrong info that was released. these are very old pics and the engine can do much more then what these pictures show. you cant say anything about how ANY next gen system takes advantage of the engine because you dont work with either the engine or the game. i swear i get ulcers everytime i read your posts because not only do they not make sense half the time but because you continue to prove how immiture and uneducated you can be. it doesnt matter if i quote a developer i know, a developer who's developing for the 360, or a developer who's developing on the ps3, no matter what the situation you seem to think you can argue with the people who are ACTUALLY working on these systems.

i will make this as simple as i can. the 360 runs the engine better then anything those pictures represent, you cant state anything against that because you dont know any better. these are old pictures, im not blaiming you or scolding you for anything, they are just old. i was just making a correction no arguement intended. so back off, admit reality for once and just see my point.

8. DivineSin

Dude i'm sick of having to defend myself against you. Anyone with half a brain (if you read th edit in my previous post) would know that these shots were of the engine, and would realise that when i said 'demo' i was talking about the engine demo. Why would i say they are from a 360 demo when there obviously not even in-game?

Or why dont you look how i say (360 version) above each of the 360 shots. But your obviously right, all the big gameing sites are wrong that the 360 shots are not new (sarcasm). If a mod reads this please lock this thread so people can enjoy the 360 shots instead of having to listen to this guy bicker.

Btw, if it gives you an ulcer responding to my posts. Stop doing it, it would make you and me happy. I've been trying to be nice and not call you names but your probly the only person on this site that I literally cannot stand, and i really hope that a mod brings you to your senses so i wont have to listen to you bring discussion threads into arguements. :rolleyes: Have a nice day.

9. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

no one says you have to defend yourself, i think it would be easier for you to admit your wrong so we can get on with the topic.

the sites are wrong, the shots are not new, how can you argue with something from mark rein?? i ask plenty of questions and say plenty to prove my statements and you answer none of them because you cant, you dont know any better. how can you tell people to enjoy the 360 shots WHEN THEY ARENT EVEN SHOTS FROM THE 360 VERSION?? i swear you are the typical teenager sony zombie who doesnt know any better and yet will still argue until they are slapped. :duh:

and i never said it gives me ulcers to respond to you, it gives me ulcers to read what vomit you spew on the screen. you spread such innacurate and trivial points that its a shame because it really makes the forum look bad (so does your arguing, name calling, and general immiture attitude.) i wont get banned because i did nothing wrong so keep hoping there buddy boy. and for the last time, i did nothing to bring an arguement, and you know this. i didnt label anyone a fanboy, i didnt say anyone was uneducated, or was stupid, or it was your fault inaccurate info came to the thread because i posted the same in another forum. i just told you that you dont have to worry about those flat textures being in the final game. I CORRECTED THE TOPIC that is all. again live with it so we can get on with the topic and how these pics dont even come close to how good the final game will look. :D

10. DivineSin

Whatever, the screenshots are from the 360 version, please lock the thread. And please someone explain to him how it is against the rules to continually flame someone. :rolleyes:

11. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

who am i flaming? and no the these screens are not from the 360 version, how can you be so mistaken? i like it how through all my facts and prof the best end result get from you is "whatever". you know i had a 16 yr. old girlfriend who used to say the EXACT same thing when i was young, and she said it because she had nothing else better to say. and your wasting your time trying to get this topic locked, any good moderator would not lock this thread because the debate in it is too heated, it would serve as a bad example for the forum, i should know i used to be a mod.

12. DivineSin

Btw, i say "Whatever" so i dont cause an arguement, or have to incite flames against you. Its simplier, and I will be the more mature one rather than saying hatefull things against another person. Like i have in the past, like you do most of the time. :thumb:

13. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

what an appropriate response, I still think its because you have nothing better to say because there is nothing left to say, you are wrong, end of story.

also im not saying hateful things, I don’t hate you at all in fact. I only state things that anyone who reads your posts would see. that you do not know what you are talking about and you prove it more with every post. how can you argue when I bring proof? right there it shows your ignorance and immaturity. I do not insult most of the time, only disagree with false statements and inaccurate news.

14. DivineSin

Lets go to the forums, like you got your little paragraph that states the grassy field is from a engine demo and not the game.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=158894&page=3

Lets go here and see the users commenting on how the Aracnid looking creature is new. And let me bring up that this is in the Gears of War media thread. Old or not, there still 360 pictures. Most people havnt seen it. Drop it.

15. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

The X360 screenies look amazing :jawdrop:

16. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Those screens look damned good, and I'd love to play a game with a monster-thing like that.

17. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Yeh they do, what game is this??

18. DivineSin

In title, Gears of War.

19. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

its great to see that you guys are impressed with pics that are 2 years old. just wait until you see how much better the game looks on the 360, especially when its done. it will be one of the premier graphical showcases in the next gen this year. here are some actual pics from the 360 demos unlike those old pics shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are a few of the CONFIRMED 360 images, the most impressive feature is that these pics (except for the first of the four which was taken off of an older dev kit.) are taken after only two weeks of the game being moved to the final dev kits using only one of the three cores. it only gets better from here. :rock:

Last edited: 20 Jan 2006
  20. Unified_Shaders

Unified_Shaders Banned

No more pics, it's making the wait that much harder :(

Tags: