1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New gigabyte mobo and cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrb_no1, 13 Dec 2008.

1. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

YO YO YO bit-tech homies and homettes,

i'm doing a little move sideways with some hardware as ever since i went from dual to quad over 6 months ago my Asus P5n32-e sli (680i) hasnt liked the cpu and wont oc at all now. So my thinking is, i want to oc this cpu properly now, rather than sitting at stock as i bought it to oc it.

I've always been an asus boi but have heard and read many great things about gigabyte boards for oc'ing. So i'm looking at the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard as it was given a storming review by bt and put into their hardware buying guide that they run once a month. having looked at the board, its got 8 sata slots but they are placed strangely and i want more, as i have six on this board and they are all used. So....i looked at the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard as it has 10 sata, so will let me expand alot if i wanted to, which i like as that means flexibility but something i have noticed from different pics of the board is that some of the sata are placed facing the user, and my preferred rightangle sata socket appears on other pics of the board(on all 10 sockets too), so which is it to be?

1- so my question, will the second board overclock well, anyone got some personal experiences rather than just 'ass'uming that it will perform?!?!

2 - my second question is about the cooler, currently i have the old scythe infinity and it lets my q6600 run to around 68 degrees which is way too hot for a stock clock of 2.4, let alone some decent oc'ing. so i was looking at the Akasa AK-966 Blue Aurora (Intel LGA 775) as it cheap as chips, and according to harry's 'silent' at half speed which is something i always want in my pc, anyone got any experiences here or do i just believe the review?

any help on either of the queries would be great,

peace

fatman

ah i forgot, do we get a discount for shopping with scan as a bit tech reader?

Last edited: 13 Dec 2008
  2. steelblade

steelblade What's a Dremel?

I went with the UD3R and its fantastic... more than i wanted to spend but its superb - I also went with the akaska and it again is very very good - hums a little if ya push the CPU hard with the intelburn test. My GFX card fan (9800GT) is a smidge loud so the fan on the akaska was dround out lol... have now got the system almost silent (or as good as my old comp anyway lol) with Rivatuner.. and the Akaska is peachy quiet. The Akaska COmes in a HoooooGe box lol

BTW im running a Q6600 on the board and have got it running at 3Ghz (333x9) not a fantastic overclock granted but havent really tried to push it any further... and i run 8gigs of ram with only minor voltage increases.

Dunno if that info helps at all.

3. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

thanks for the reply, after some sorting through forums and deducing faults n what not, i decided to leave the gigabyte alone and go for the maximus 2 from asus as its only £152 at scan and the aurora blue thing from akasa, i am curious how quiet it is as i dont like fan noise at all, its acceptable when gaming as i cant hear it over my speakers but will report back on my conclusions of the fan and the oc i can get on my q6600 in a rampage after xmas.

peace

fatman

4. steelblade

steelblade What's a Dremel?

Let us know how ya got on... sorry havent for back sooner had a lot on :(

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Have you tried resetting or flashing the BIOS to a newer version on your P5n32-e?

6. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i flashed the bios soo many times its unreal, after updating to the latest and having no improvement, i then went and installed each of the previous bios' to see if any of them would help, no joy.

the maximus is almost totally awesome, got a stable oc on my q6600 of 3.58ghz on air. It can go marginally higher but it seems to want more and more volts to do it and temps rise too high, plus i think its just being greedy and if i wanted an oc like that i'd have to go water and cant afford that.

kinda fine tuning the memory oc, having not been able to oc the memory before its now running at 1068 mhz, up from 800. i've had it at the next step up, i think around 1150mhz, it ran, but didnt prime completely as it failed after 2hrs on one core, which it hadnt before when the memory wasnt oc'd, but this is all part of the fun of oc'ing, the time, refinement and toying with features.

as for the akasa and my desire for 'air silence' its no where near as quiet as my old scythe infinity, but then the akasa is a better peformer when the cpu is stressed. The is no difference between the coolers when idleing, not to my ears anyway.

oh and the lcd poster on the mobo is useful, as it tells me where its failing to boot so i can fix the problem and the reset cmos button has been useful, so is the dual cmos profile as i now have one that is my stable oc, and the second is my working cmos setup up which is very handy. For some reason, the board doesnt like the fourth stick of ram being in, but its ok as i'm on windows xp32 so my total supported(as reported by windows) was only 3.25gb of ram, so it's only dropped a little which is handy.

and there we are, as requested i have reported back, would highly recommend the asus formula II to anyone, oc features are v. good and it looks like a mean board with the heatsink setup too, i might even add a photo shortly too...

peace

fatman

p.s photo links

http://rapidshare.com/files/176053225/DSCN1116_small.jpg

http://rapidshare.com/files/176053157/DSCN1115_small.jpg

http://rapidshare.com/files/176053029/DSCN1113_small.jpg

Last edited: 23 Dec 2008
  7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I took a good look at that Akasa cooler and instead went for this , as it is fairly cheap and has better technologies and performs better than all the other Akasa coolers (they don't have the exact model in the list). Also, I can't hear it unless it's on full speed (which doesn't happen ;))
    It's also nearly the same price :)

8. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i checked your performance list, and my old scythe ninja which apparently out performs both my new akasa and your vendetta....the scythe let my quad core temps hit 70 and above when it was clocked at 2.4(stock), and my new akasa only lets it hit 72 celcius, and the cpu is now clocked at 3.58 ghz so i'd take those temps under advisement, the bt temps seem to correlate more to my experiences in rl so i'll stick with the deductions made by this site.

that said your vendetta is one of the best air coolers, it was a toss up between the vendetta, thermaltake xtreme 120 and the akasa blue, it came down to value for me!

and i dont know if i mentioned but you can't hear the cooler the load is minimal, its only on full load that it whirs up.

peace

fatman

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

I am using a AK-966 Blue Aurora in my rig, it's nice and quiet.

Handles my overclock with ease, temps never break 65 degree C under load, however i have some great airflow now.

10. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

AK-966 Blue Aurora or Vendetta 2 but pick up a noctua 120mm fan to replace fan on vendetta