1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New GPU failing POST - "No VGA Detected"

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Fordy, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Hey, finally got around to replacing my awful 9400GT, with a 5850.

I know from googling and finding others with this setup, that my P5QL PRO can handle a 5850.

My PSU should have no qualms with it either, 25A per +12v rail (4 of them) - an Antec TP 650 Modular.

The issue is, whenever I boot with my new 5850 in, I get 1 long followed by 3 short beeps. Which having an AMI BIOS, which I do, indicates "No VGA detected".

There is - the damn thing is right in front of me. I've tried reseating several times, different combinations of power rails, including, most importantly, taking the 6pin from one rail and the 8pin from another, so that in theory the GPU has 50A at its disposal.

I've uninstalled 9400GT from device manager, deleted drivers - even installed the 5850 drivers while running on 9400.

I can't boot using onboard but with 5850 plugged in, and then install drivers and disable the onboard - because I have no onboard.

Really at a loss here guys, I'm very very tired so I might be missing something stupid, but I've tried everything that I can think I'd suggest to someone else if they approached me with this issue.

Cheers,

Fordy.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

The TP new 650's 1st 2 rails are 22A, and up to 75w of the graphics card's power will come from the 1st rail through the PCIe slot. but still it should be plenty.

The drivers in windows will have no effect on what happens at post as they haven't been loaded at this point. Nothing has except for the bios.

What graphic options do you have in the bios?

Do you have access to another computer with a PCIe slot that you can test to see if the 5850 is dead on arrival?

3. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

That's my feelings too. DOA card.

4. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Uh yeah, you're right about the PSU, I wrote it badly.

I meant 25A per rail that I was using to supply the PCI-e power. Each could theoretically draw 25A in addition to what's coming through the slot.

I might get a chance to try a different machine, but the PSU will be junk, so I'd have to swap that too. Depends how much time and effort I have.

I too thought it was a duff. Gah, that's annoying. Got it on eBay but it was wrapped and brand new so I hoped all would be fine. I'll get on to the seller ASAP.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

I know nvidia cards can start up in low power mode if the PCIe connectors aren't connected, do ATI/AMD's do the same?

Might be worth a try just to see if you can get anything on the display.

6. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Thanks Deders, but I doubt it.

I did try having just one connected and it screamed a high pitched whine. (Needless to say, still didn't work)

Plugged them both back in and it responded the as it had before then.

I might try neither later, but I think it's a no go. Hopping on eBay now.

7. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

By the way, I am aware that drivers aren't necessary until long after POST, I was just at wits end trying anything and everything.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Sorry, you never know how much people know about what they are asking, but sometimes it's good to get confirmation.

9. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Yeah sure, no worries.

I try to include as much as possible when I post here, because as you can tell from my post count, I don't frequent the bittech forums, so it's understandable that my unrecognised name here get's treated as a fool - I do the same elsewhere when newer members ask a question!