1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by NuTech, 16 Feb 2005.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Have a nice day. :thumb:

Only available in Flash format at the moment, better quality probably out soon.

Got to admit, it looks fantastic. Mos Def is really proving himself as a great actor.

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

man,thats look sooo cool,never read the book but i had some idea about the story but it looks like alot of fun,a good adventure film is what we need.....and mos def is making some good choices in his film career.... also that last joke with the giant woman was well funny :hehe:

3. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

As a devoté of the books, i remain reserved.

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

this has been knocking around of ra while now - i expected it to be out by now in fact, im sure they said february this year!

looks good though - i hope they do it all this time though, rather than just the first book :)

5. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

I love the books and the movie and the author.

did anyone see "42" in the stars near the end?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The books were inspired, the film looks less-so. It looks to Americanised to me (the "token" black man as Ford Prefect? The cheesy announcer on the trailers?). To be honest, i'm not convinced.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

why do you have to look upon it so scinically - ford prefect is meant to be a cool calm guy, a black guy would seem to fit that bill (steriotypically speaking of course!). I dont like where zapods second head is, but ill have to see how that works :) it looks to have a certain 70's look and feel to it (except the CG), a bit star wars eque, this couldbe good :)

8. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I have not read the books, but I have seen the series that BBC had a few years ago and I loved that.

I agree that this movie does not look too good from what that trailer shows.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Very true Bogo. I apologise for being so cynical, i just get very defensive of the whole thing in the face of imitation... It could be good I will admit, but i'll need some convincing before I go to see it. :)

10. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

As a big fan of the series, the trailer was pretty interesting and there's certain things I guess which you need to 'suspend your disbelief' for.

Ford Prefect - Fine, he can be a black american guy. My only questions are that a) it seems odd to make the best friend of a quirky, boring english suburban gent a dynamic black american guy and b) I thought Ford's name, attiude and mode of dress was largely due to his inability to properly 'fit in' with earth culture, so making him a well dressed and 'cool' seems odd.

Marvin - Excellent. The robots were *supposed* to be happy, fun, social robots and the fact that Marvin is manically depressed means it's even funnier he looks like a cute toy robot.

Zaphod - Undecided. Yes, I can see where they're coming from.. it's a shame he's American because that makes him far more 'blah' than just being a 'laid back cool surfer' kinda guy. (He sounds like Shaggy, I'd have made him Australian). I'm hoping, like in the series, he's more witless than actually dumb. This'll be the character that'll hinge it for me.

Edit: Just to clarify this bit.. in the TV Show (at least) he has a very garbled american accent which essentially sounds like an englishman doing a bad impression (which it is). I think It added to his personality, but I feel a strong, authentic US accent would detract from it.

Arthur - When I found out who was playing him; Perfect.

As for everything else, I think if you scrape off the hollywood tinsel of explosions, chasing, large sets and everything you'll have quite an authentic film. The obvious comparisons are going to be of the 80's UK Show and well, you have to remember that it was an 80's UK show..!

I still have faith, I just hope it's an Oceans 11 and not a Rollerball.

11. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I'm a massive fan of the BBC Radio series, the TV series, and the books. Considering the order in which they were made and the liberties that were taken by each successive version, I was expecting an updated and re-imagined to possibly deviate from the expected course.

Overall, it looks entertaining and may turn on a new generation of people to Douglas Adams.

Ford as a black guy? Not bothered. He was from another part of the galaxy so why should he be white? He was only shown as white in the TV series.

Arthur Dent is always portrayed and described as little more stuffy and 'English' than I think Tim from The Office is going to make him seem... but nevermind.

Zaphod... if memory serves he had an American (or atleast a trans-Atlantic) accent in the radio, audio book, and TV version of the book. A lack of an obvious second head is a bit bizarre though (was that one in his chest?)

Marvin looks superb. I always thought they got it completely wrong in the TV series as he was meant to look like part of the spaceship Zaphod and Trillian stole. The irony being he looks all helpful and cheery, but because of the random nature of the personality circuits he ends up being paranoid and sarcastic.

Overall, I will reserve judgement until I see the full thing. I think what is the most important is that it still has the spirit of the original and that it's not too dumbed down or obvious.

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

arthur is being played by tim from the office ?? :D thats perfect! hes great. imo perfect for ther part :)

i can just imagine him standing outside his house now, in his dressing gown! looking pissed off at them trying to demolish his house! :)

13. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Yeah but he's not quite the naive looking, slightly old fashioned twit that Arthur Dent was in the first book at any rate.

14. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

What like Hugh Grant? No thanks, I'd rather have Martin Freeman (the guy who is playing him).

15. relix

relix Minimodder

At first I thought "A shame they put Zaphod's second head under his first head", but then I though it would look absurd and bizarre if he had actually two heads next to each other. Like that sideshow person in MIIB, that wouldn't be how I imagine Beeblebrox.

16. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

That's how he has it in the TV series and I don't think it looks too bad (aside from the fact that it's made in the early 80s).

17. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

links dead just get http 1.1 service unavailable

18. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

TBH, it is a movie version of H2G2 and is long overdue. I'm not expecting everything, but it will definitely be something!

Books are always better... blah blah blah... we all know this, but from an american standpoint who has not had the opportunity to hear the radio broadcasts or see the TV series, I must admit that I'm purchasing my tickets the day they go on sale.

I was slightly confused by Zaphoid, because I was expecting something entirely different, but, then again, the way the book worked itself out was entirely different, and I must say myown perception is not as entertaining as Mr. Adams'.

Arthur2Sheds tells me there will also be a character not mentioned in the book, but that Adams wrote the screenplay for the character hoping to add something uniqe to the movie, so it will be hard not to say "Wait, that's not right!", but since Adams did have such a hand in it, reguardless of its accuracy to the books, it is right.

But yes, definitly excited, and waiting for the film to make my final opinion. (But it doesn't take much to make me like a movie! :p )

19. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Rubbish book, rubbish BBC mini series and now a rubbish film :duh:

20. quack

quack Minimodder

That Amazon link doesn't work for me, but here are the ones on the official site.

Linky To Trailers