1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New House - Essential gadgets - Discussion/Ideas/Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shah, 5 Jul 2013.

1. shah

shah Minimodder

Fair point.

Yes I was thinking of splitting functionality which can then be easier to replace and also upgrade.

2. shah

shah Minimodder

Hahahaha :D. Skynet is the limit :D

3. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Not entirely sure if you've thought about it - but think about the kind of cat 6 you're using.
    I think they give off toxic smoke when they burn so you may need to consider plenum cables. I'd be interested on hearing opinions on that one.

Also - may be worth adding a little redundancy in case of damage to one of the cables or at least an easy way to replace them without tearing up wallpaper/tiling?

I also think network ports in kitchens and bathrooms might be a no-no from an electrical safety standpoint.. but that's just from the murmuring of an electrician.

"Central" cabinet for the internet to go in and the network to go from are a must-have as Cei said.

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Isn't the rules a certain distance from taps etc?

In my bathroom I have power and CAT6, but thats in a built walk in cupboard with my washing machine, which I believe counts as a separate room.

In the bathroom I would basically box in a cupboard and run power and network into that, and then run speakers into the room from there. You could also consider putting one of those fancy waterproof TV's in there for the person in the bath. Is there anything better than watching a film in the bath?

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The rule is 600mm away from the water source, I think......

6. shah

shah Minimodder

Yes redundancy is a must. I am thinking of running two wires at least and the ability to run a 3rd. Will CAT6 be ok to stream 4k videos?

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Luxury thread is awesome. :D

All I can do is reflect what's already been said: Don't bother with automated lighting, and underfloor heating is utter heaven! :thumb:

8. shah

shah Minimodder

Haha yes. The project is to find out the best system for the house. I know some of the things i mentioned are just overkill but that is why I have asked for advice and ideas. :thumb:
    I have yet to calculate the cost of all this!

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

10. shah

shah Minimodder

Thanks yes they are good. I have been reading up a bit on these guys.

11. longweight

Savant are very good too.

12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Like most people have said:

Wired house, have all the wires run through the walls to a central location, essentially becoming the main server / computer room so to speak. If this is so, you could set up servers and such in a rack where noise wont be as big of an issue.

Wireless, my house only has our 1 wireless receiver so when we're in the basement 3 floors down, the wireless isn't as great as it could be. Having the house properly setup for adequate wifi and wireless coverage would be awesome.

Home theater / stereo setup, I think this is essential in any home, I personally hate watching movies without any home theater system, they just provide so much more life. Another convenient feature is having speakers installed throughout the house and just using your receivers other zones. I have this set up so we can get music in our kitchen or backyard without having to carry a portable stereo around, its awesome for entertaining and easy to do before drywall goes up.

Security, I've been trying to convince my parents to get cameras for our home for the front, back, and side doors so we can see who's there before answering. We already have an alarm and all the motion sensors and it gives a nice peace of mind.

man cave, throw all the goodies and nerdy things in there that your significant other may not want in the house, that includes posters, computer, technology devices, spare parts, etc. Who needs fancy posters of nature when you can have awesome game posters.

Fancy universal remotes, I have a harmony one for my basement which controls a tv, receiver, ps3, dvd player and digital cable box and its rather convenient. A bit pricy, but it saves hunting for remotes, plus it has its own rechargeable battery and dock, so if you put it back on the dock after using it, you'll never lose it.

Finally, usb wall sockets, I know they sell the face plates and I think they would be awesome. A spare usb port in any major room can be rather convenient.

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

These are essentials? I feel like I'm living in the dark ages now.

What about setting the CAT6 up with powerline based wireless-n coverage.

My family doesn't really go for the whole "mood lighting" thing, we have strip lighting in the downstairs rooms, it's always daytime in those rooms. :p
    Security consists of a steel gate at the rear and a 6mm steel rear door in addition to the alarm system with motion sensors in all the corridors.

14. longweight

Jesus that lighting must be horrible!

15. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

+1 more for the underfloor heating. I'd hate to be without it now.

One thing I would love is self cleaning glass for the windows and showers (Pilkington Activ for example).
    You could also have a self cleaning oven - definately reduce the amount of time you need to clean them.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

PIR sensor above where you park your car that operates lights sunk into the driveway. That's something I'd love to do.

17. shah

shah Minimodder

mansueto: Good points. The house is going to have a Basement so yes will keep those points in mind.

Tangster: Yes some essential tech!! :D :D

Chris_Waddle: very good points and I was not aware of self cleaning windows etc!

kenco_uk: PIR sensors a very good idea.

18. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Last edited: 5 Jul 2013
  19. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

External motion sensors for lighting yeah, but I wouldn't go for internal motion sensors at all, if that's that you're thinking. They're a nuisance unless when you set the alarm you never, for example, want to go back downstairs, nip back into the lounge, sleep walk ...

Perimeter entry point alarms I've always found best - any door or window through which a 9 year old could fit and you're sorted, making motion sensors unnecessary:thumb: And incorporated at first fit stage and there's no wiring or connectors visible.

20. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

But then you still have to do the vacuuming yourself, (or employ someone to do it). Instead, I'd get those little vacuum robots that are £400 at John Lewis. One for each room, programmed to come out when you're at work.