1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding New Ideas for security??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by funkymunky, 8 May 2003.

1. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Hey Every1.....
    Im new to this whole modding thing!
    Im looking for ways to stop my family using my computer, which is based on a Antec Plusview1000 with the lockable front door, this just isnt enough, because its only a plastic hinge, and its been broken into once already!! :miffed:
    I thought maybe i could use a solinoid lock, like the onces used on cars but i wouldnt beable to get one that would fit right, and i dont really want to have to put loads of holes and stuff every where :D

Have you guys got any ideas????????

OOOO almost forgot to add something.....

YOU GUYS ARE WICKED!!!!!!!.... Your mods are sooo cool!!, i need to get myself a dremel :dremel:

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Welcome to the best and most fun board! :D

Why not just buy a computer power lock? They're not that expansive and are very simple to install.

3. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards.

The classic, elegant in its simplicity, is the good old keyswitch installed in line with the power button. With the keyswitch open(off) the button is deactivated--it can't turn the peecee on or off.

If keys aren't really your thing, any old switch would server the same purpose, just disguise it.

4. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Yea, that's what I ment.... :D My brain musta froze up when typing.

5. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

i thought about that, but my sneaky little brother is too clever, something that i could change like a lock or a code or something similar would be brilliant.... i thought about getting a fingerprint mouse but he could just remove the harddisk, or format the unit.........

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Okay, how about building a wodden box that's lockable? Most security measures can be broken... Fingerprint mice arent good if they can be unplugged and replaced with a standard one. Or maybe purcahse a lockable server case?

7. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Stuff like that is sooo easy to bypass, lol, sorry to be a nuisance but ive been thinking about this for ages!!!!

:idea: what if i was to have some kind of magnetic thingy going on, so that when a magnet that comes into contact with a sensor or sumthing with a special kind of signiture, then it would allow the system to be turned on?????

8. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Actually thats a good idea, i have the antec plusview1000 but the plastic lug broke on the front!!

But thats a v.good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

My work computer has a smart-card security system on it that's built into the bios. If I enable it, the computer won't even POST let alone boot without the card. What about something like that? You would have to buy a new motherboard, but it would work like a dream...

10. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

:idea: that would work, because i dont have a motherboard in my new computer yet, which motherboard is it?????

Basically its going to be a file server!, so every1 else in the family gets access to stuff i allow them and then i can have all my private stuff, and projects and stuff to come!

so i need some kind of security, and seeing as we do Bed And Breakfast it really does need to be secure!!

11. ajack

ajack rox

The magnet idea isnt bad as you can just use a proximity switch for the sensor but that would mean it would activate using any magnet but you could disguise it

12. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

My work computer has a Soyo SY-P4I Fire dragon . Actually many of the Soyo boards have this capability, you only need to make sure you get one that includes their Sigma box or has a connector for it. I also believe that some MSI boards have a usb device to do basically the same thing.

13. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

is there not a way i could make a magnet unique in anyway???
    like some car immobalisers have a specific signiture, and if it isnt that specfic signiture then it doesnt start or starts the alarm etc.....

14. linear

linear Minimodder

Several of Soyo boards have this, look for one with the Sigma-box feature. But beware, lose the smart card, discard the mobo pretty much.

Edit: too damn slow in this fast-paced thread...

15. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

no way i could just flash the bios???????

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Nope. Lose the card and the board won't even post.

Linear: You snooze you loose! :D

17. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

hmmmm that may be a bad thing, im a 16 year old :D

what does the card look like, is it like a push in card, like a bank card, or is it a little cartridge type thing :confused: sorry im not into all this high tech stuff yet :D

18. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

19. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

nope never seen a smart card...........
    But that would probably be the thing i would need, ill have a look for that motherboard, and see if i can get it in the UK

Because www.Ebuyer.com Doesnt have the motherboard or any motherboard made by soho :D
    these people are sooo cheap, they have a 550w power supply for £20.00 :D
    they have loads of stuff like that

20. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

You could always have a look at these, It may give you some ideas Linkey
    :thumb: