1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding New Ideas for security??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by funkymunky, 8 May 2003.

1. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

yeah i thought about doing that, but as i said before, my little brother is a sneaky one!

He could just remove the hard disk, but if i had something like a smart card, it wouldnt even boot so he couldnt do it through dos!

And a smart card would be a good idea, becuase i could use security screws to stop entry to the casing :nono: "thats bad!"

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Those are nice, but the problem still remains that they would be defeated easy if you have access to the computer itself. If the computer is in a locked cabinet or is secure, bio-secutiry will work fantastic.

3. linear

linear Minimodder

4. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

yeah your right, that would work fantastic if nobody would get access to the main unit, i dont think i have enough room in my room to fit a bigger cabnet (custom made desk!)

5. ajack

ajack rox

lol what is on your computer that your brother would go to so much trouble to see?! Removing the hdd seems a bit extreme. Cant you just puit your files that you dont want him to see on a usb pen drive and password it?

6. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

its not just my brother, my parents run a Bed and Breakfast so we have some weird people come into our house all the time, and because alot of the time the house is unsupervised then people may use the computers......

I figured that a usb pen could be taken and then they could use a password cracker or sumthing of that type to decode the password.....
    A smart card would be brillant, because the computer will be bolted to the desk, and then the desk and the computer would have to be removed, and they would be hard pushed to get that down the stairs of my room :D :D :D

7. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

lol, i have one more question, and i promise that this isnt a trick or that im taking the micky, but is the card waterproof???

it must only be a network of connections to enable the device to complete the circuit i would assume??

8. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Hey Linear... That software fanbus thing... Where is that!? It's not on the cd I got!

9. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Umm, am I being stupid in suggesting using a BIOS password on Boot. Just make sure that you have a strong password (ie upper & lowercase characters & numbers, even use special characters).

You could also password protect windows using a strong password, then if the BIOS is reset, they'll have to work out the password to get in to windows. Obviously this works much better if using either NT / 2k / XP.

10. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

All you need to do to crack that is to open the computer and reset the cmos. Easy. Again, if you have access to the computer itself, it's very easy to crack or bypass any security - well, that I know of that is...

11. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

To put this simply, my brothers a computer boffin, and i am not :D

he could easily just kill the bios, some how i dont know, but i belive it can be done through windows....... and then he would use Msdos to get any information he needed and then upload it to his computer or something......

But if my brother can do this then whats to stop other lodgers or people using my computer, i really like the smart card idea, because theres no way past it, u flash the bios, and nothing.......

But i have 1 thing to ask....

when its taken out during windows.......... does the system still stay the same as before, or does it change and goto bios etc........

that would be such a cool idea to use the smart card idea, i cant believe i didnt think of it before, i even asked another computer boffin, who thought of everything apart from that :D :D :D

12. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

How devious is your brother exactly?? I mean he'd format your PC to get at it? :eeek:

Fingerprint scanner for windows login, password the bios (tell it to only boot the HDD and nothing else), then lock the side panel with a padlock?

Not entirely sure what else you could feasibly do!?

EDIT: OK Smart cards a good idea :D

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I'm not sure you fully understand this. Is you enable the SCR, you won't bea able to do anything without the card. The computer won't even get to the bios post. It wil be like you installed it without memory. Nothing will happen at all. As Linear said, you lose the card, you toss the motherboard and buy a new one so there is an inherant danger in doing this.

Not 100% sure on that as I don't use the card myself. The capability is there, but I never used it as my office is pretty secure in and of itself. Someone gets in here, I've got more to worry about than them getting stuff off my hard drive! ;) However, I *believe* that the computer won't even function without the card.

14. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

right so the unit could just blank out :lol: i like the idea!!

my brother is extreamly devious to say the least, but its not really my brother im that worried about its people i dont know coming into our house....

I know i sound stupid when i say i want soo much security but its something ive been meaning to do in our house

15. pritsey

pritsey Minimodder

How about going lo-tech.....lock your room!!!!

16. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

lol, that would be a good idea, but the way my room is made is, that my room is made up on the loft, nice loft conversion so theres no way i could lock the room!

17. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

It'll either do that, do nothing or the computer will turn off hard. Not sure which...

18. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

Ill try and find out, surely someone must have a smart card unit

:thumb: Thanks you guys you've been extreamly helpful!!!!!!

19. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

a big stick :D
    if your brother (or anyone else for that matter:p) goes near it beat them with it, they'll soon learn :clap:
    hook up a webcam as a security camera too, then you'll know who did it and can beat them with impunity :lol:

20. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

:thumb: wicked!!!!!!!!

Ill do that!!!!!, seems the ultimate security device!!!!! :D :D