1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New iPod Shuffle locks out third party headphones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Mar 2009.

1. Goty

Goty Minimodder

It doesn't reject third party headphones, you just can't change the track or adjust the volume if you use a third-party set.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That's quite a limitation, however it's up to Apple at the end of the day.
    They are selling a whole product, part of which is the headphones with built in controls.
    There are plenty other products on the market if you are not a fan of apple headphones.

3. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

I have seen this reported elsewhere, but was under the impression this was all speculation based on an unidentified chip found when dissecting a set of the apple headphones.

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

/concur

Sansa Clip is the best tiny Mp3 player out there -8GB, awesome sound quality, - it even plays .flac!

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Another reason why I hate Apple....

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I'm just waiting until they come up with a shuffle so small it's just earbuds! Imagine all the haters!

7. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

As much as i like some of Apple's stuff it's their "You will use our products how we tell you to!" attitude that put me off.You shell out top money for their kit and are dictated to on how you must use it.Once I pay my readies,I will use something however i see fit!

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

There is always a better alternative to what apple provides. At a much cheaper cost.

Why does anyone even consider apple when making a purchase?

9. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

For a company that really, really wants their products to sell, this has to be the most stupid move in a long, long time...Apple KNOW that their stock headphones suck and are unsuitable for use when jogging, and they know that other people are going to buy other, non-Apple stuff (sales from their store), so what the hell are they doing? Truly amazing. Bit like my iTouch. After jailbreaking it, I now realise even more just how stupid Apple are being. How much profit would they lose from enabling Bluetooth, for example? Virtually none, with nobody using their iPods for wireless music. Bluetooth headsets? Again, minimal. As for everything else, they get no profit from free stuff...they suck harder than ever.

10. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

YES! I can upgrade my anti-apple-ness, 95% here I come :)

But seriously, I can see a few fanboys turning away from Apple because of this, what's the point in a pair of headphones that sound crap? you NEED Skullcandy or similar :)

11. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

Skullcandy? Did you mean Sennheiser.

See what I did there?

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

no my favorite is how they charge you to make apps for their iphone and what not lol, "Apple - yes pay us to make our product better" .... Apple is far from the days of "we are fighting Big Blue to be non conformance" lol boy look at them now, they are worse...

13. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

14. ryall

ryall What's a Dremel?

Apple and I have a deal:

They continue to tell me what I can and can't do with their products and I continue to not buy them.

15. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Hahaha. That seems like a pretty sweet deal you have with them :lol:

16. SnowCat

SnowCat What's a Dremel?

Who needs an Apple player anyway? Sony has a nice line up with direct copy of mp3s, better battery life, better sound and better phones in the box.

17. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

Reason number 8648 - not to buy an iPod

18. melthebestbell

melthebestbell What's a Dremel?

I just ordered one of these off the net, and I was hoping to plug in a pair of sports headphones and use it for runs, because one of the reviews on Amazon said that the earphones provided with the shuffle come out easily.
    Despite this fact, one of the 3rd generation shuffle's strongest selling points is the fact that it's meant to be so handy for workouts - it's the first part of their demo.

It's pretty damn unfair they had to go and pull something like this ---> if not for the fact that there aren't compatible sports earphones, it would probably be the perfect workout music player.

Tags: Add Tags