1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals New keyboard and mouse needed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by racecraft76, 22 Jul 2009.

1. racecraft76

racecraft76 Still loves F.E.A.R.

Now that I have replaced/upgraded my old system I feel I should update my Peripherals. In particular my keyboard and mouse. My PC is used mainly for work and fps gaming (though not necessarily in that order :D ).

My generic dell keyboard wont cut it in the looks department and it has a tempramental number pad so it has to go. I have been using a trust predator for a number of years and it is now looking grubby, tired and has a habbit of skipping.

I have a budget of £150 which i beleive should get me great input devices, but I have no idea where to start.

Makes such as logitech, razor and saitek have been mentioned to me but what would be best. I have heard about low latency input devices, but are they worth the money and would they realy make a difference in gaming? I also dont wish a massive keyboard with a million macro keys.

Hope you can give me some insight.

2. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

A Razer Mamba and Tarantula might be worth a look.

3. racecraft76

Would ideally like a backlit keyboard with slim dimensions. Not realy after wireless.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

What about some Logitech kit?

5. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Backlit and slim? Here you go:
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?ocz-keyb
    Thank me l8ter - ridiculously cheap too
    Match with an OCZ Behemoth if you, like me, are a brand matcher
    if your not then due to your budget id recommend the Raptor M3 or Logitech G9
    An alternative keyboard is the G15 but thats kinda common now :)
    ===:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: DANCE MY MINIONS DANCE =====

6. racecraft76

If my budget isnt enough for good quality equipment, i can revise it accordingly. How much would a good quality mouse and keyboard cost?

7. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Your budget is ok, I seriously would recommend the Logitech G19 and G9, £150 on a gaming mouse + keyboard is more than enough, the G19 + G9 = around £150

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Or a G15 with a G5 if you're conservative like me.

9. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

It depends what type of work you do.

I do a lot of programming at home so I use the Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 with the Logitech MX Revolution and a faily decent size Zalman cloth mouse mat. It works perfect for me (for both programming and gaming), but it all depends on what type of work and what type of games.

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

11. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Yeah....that got a horrific review in this months CPC under the kit section flimsy, cheap etc.

1* out of 5 I believe without going downstairs to grab it :p

12. racecraft76

Most of the work i do is CAD and rendering. I currently use Pro Engineer and wildfire 4.0, Adobe suite CS3, 3DS max, and Ansys 12.0. Its mostly engineering based stuff i do with some design thrown in. On the play side of things I love my FPS games.

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Here is what i suggest (but look for specials)
    - Logitech MX Revolution. It's configurable and large array of buttons should help you in gaming and CAD. It's a laser mouse, that doesn't disappoint. Just a head-up, the side scroll wheel is actually a switch of 3 buttons that you slide or press in with your thumb.
    I find it very confortable and teh precision is there for me. I can draw "circles" and do straight lines with a pen in a image editor with much ease compared to generic mouses.
    The battery last about 1 to 2 weeks depends how you use it (this is MY personal battery life that I face.. I tend to have 1 week as I REALLY use that mouse)

- Keyboard, i suggest Logitech Illuminated keyboard. It's slim, solid (heavy too, it feels like a big block of plastic with keys cut on it), wired, backlit keyboard. It has this laptop keyboard feel to it, but see it a excellent laptop keyboard. I have no problem gaming on it. It's professional look goes perfectly with a black colored computer and the MX revolution. The interesting thing is that the numlock/caplock/scrolllock light indicator are hidden in the plastic between the palm rest and the keyboard itself (on that black glossy line) to the right. Very nice effect and you can't even see it. Cap lock can be also disabled using Logitech Set Point.

I game, draw (make icons and stuff) and program with that setup, and I love it, and worth the money.

Also, remember that it's 3 year warranty and you have Logitech great service. Where if it breaks.. you don't need to send it back... all they want is some number under the device, and a faxed billed if it's old. They will send you a new retail box with everything to you. I never waited over the phone when calling.

14. racecraft76

MX revolution looks good, still not convinced wireless are as good as wired mice, but it seems worth a look.

that keyboard is certainly more what im looking for. Ill check it out.

15. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

I use the MX revolution and I really cant see any lag because of the wireless. And the games I play are all pretty fast paced (CS:S, TF2, ETQW, UT, ect). It is a seriously good mouse.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Your games might be pretty fast paced, but are you?

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

For me (lots of coding, some work in photoshop, some gaming), the Logitech G5 has been mouse of choice for a while now.
    I love the on-the-fly speed adjustment (hardware based) makes for wonderful versatility (i use lower and higher mouse speeds in games, as well as photoshop - dependant on what the scenario calls for).

Keyboard wise, i had a Generation 1 Logitech G15, and hated it. The keys were high, clunky and a tad smaller than the average keyboard's.
    I sold that quickly and got myself a MS media keyboard, which was better, but got ditched in favour of a MS Comfort Curve 2000. Soft keys... <3
    Another keyboard i can recommend is a Logitech UltraX Media Keyboard.. which i can't find on Logi's site... it's a bit liek this one though: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/177&cl=za,en

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That looks like a laptop keyboard. = rubbish. The keys are allover the place. Also, i don't see how anyone could find low-profile to be comfortable, it's hardly better than typing on your bare desk. And for that, you can have this instead.
    [​IMG]

19. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

20. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I have two of those sets and have used them on my main and spare computer for around 4 years now. The keyboard is very firm and solid, and yes the keys are low profile, but I still bang out a very respectable rate.

The mouse from one and they keyboard from the other broke over the years, and my need for the spare PC evaporated, so I devolved down to one set and one PC.

To the OP, although its a good set, I don't recommend it for your uses, and I don't even know if you'd still be able to get it anyway. FWIW my next purchase will likely be this after a recommendation from a friend, as wireless is a must for me http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141319