1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New LG monitor with an "old" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr-IK, 3 Nov 2016.

1. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Member

Hey guys

I'm looking to invest in one of the new Apple/LG monitors (the 27 inch version here: https://goo.gl/e7ez4y), but I'm afraid that my MacBook pro 2014-model without any fancy new USB-C ports will be up for the task.

I have regular USB-ports and 2 Thunderbolt-ports. Looking around the internet, it seems that it's only possible to get a TB2 to TB3 adaptor.

Can anyone explain to me how this would work? Is the new LG-display only for use with new MacBook Pro's - or are older models eligible as well?

Thanks in advance! :rock:

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

The USB C ports on the monitor will run through the Thunderbolt 3 connection to your MacBook Pro. However, whether bandwidth will be an issue is a different matter, I don't know enough about Thunderbolt to advise with any degree of accuracy.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Not going to work, basically. Thunderbolt 2 is not forwards compatible to Thunderbolt 3, compounded by the change in port. Works backwards from 3 to 2 though. You need a new MBP to run those new monitors, one that comes with Thunderbolt 3.

4. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Member

Dang it. Well, thanks for clearing that up.

Guess I'll have to find another option that works for me.

5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Well-Known Member

Should have been in response to the SSD post further down the Hardware thread.
    Ignore.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2016