1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple New macbook, text looks awful on my 2407

Discussion in 'Software' started by unrealhippie, 12 Nov 2008.

1. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Hmm,

The display on my macbook is lovely, but connecting it up by DVI to my trusty Dell 2407 produces fonts which are no way near as crisp as they would be on my PC or the macbook screen. Is this fixable? I've tried 2 different DVI cables. A google search didn't turn anything up...

2. OverQloker

OverQloker Haven't Touched No Dremel

Native resolution

you can try by setting the display resolution of the dell to its native resolution.. i guess they would be found in some display manager kind-a-tool,,,,

the reason the text is not crisp is probably coz 1:1 pixel mapping is not performed (due to the aforementioned non-native res) and the text, sharpness is lost

3. unrealhippie

no it is running native res. 1920x1200...

4. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Apple uses a different anti-aliasing method to microsoft and so it looks quite different. Not sure you can do much about it but there is an option in System Preferences->Appearance to change the font smoothing. You get used to it after a while, now windows fonts look ugly to me.

5. unrealhippie

But the macbook screen looks crisp and perfect, really really nice. The dell just looks blurred and crap next to it.

6. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

My cousin said that her dell flat panel looked odd with her macbook pro. I never saw it, but eventually suggested a factory reset on the monitor and apparently that worked. So you might want to try that.

7. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

I have the same problem with my 19" LCDs, the Mac font looks WEIRD. Try changing font smoothing and resetting the display, but it may just be the fact that the Mac fonts are optimized for very specific DPIs (almost all of their displays have the same DPI), so a different DPI might look weird. I'm not an expert, I just got used to the font and now I don't mind at all.

Tags: