1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple New Macbooks and Macbook Pros tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArtificialHero, 13 Oct 2008.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Anyone else planning on picking one up if they're sexy? I'm definitely going to, I just hope they're available immediately following the special event, and not in a few weeks - I really need to move up from my PowerBook.

AH

2. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

oh yay, more idiot apple ads....

3. ChriX

ChriX ^

Any word on a netbook?

4. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

<3 the ignore button.

Almost certainly not - obviously I've got no special insider knowledge or anything, just sites like www.macrumors.com, they've got hold of spy shots of bits of the case etc, it looks like the MacBooks are going to be aluminium like the MBPs, nothing revolutionary, just a nice visual refresh to the MBP and the Macbooks will probably look pretty similar. Nothing rumoured in terms of netbooks I'm afraid. Just get an iPhone for that ;)

AH

5. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

More poor poor people buying inferior products more like :)

Na, in all seriousness I hope they got that battery problem sorted (and not repeated), for their own sakes

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Doubt it, but I'd definitely buy one. They'd have to do something pretty magical to make me want a new traditional laptop.

I do think that there will be more to it than just a refresh of the MB/MBP though, even if that's all that we've seen in leaked photos so far. That iMac-esque docking system isn't looking as far-fetched as it once did, though I'd still give it very long odds.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

What makes it so "sexy", it's the same design since 2006. Oh, the top part is made of aluminum. Really, because that does changes everything. I saw "leaked" (more like Apple released), pictures, and it really looks like the normal current machine. I don't get it! Someone please explain this to me! I mean if the machine has a new look, SURE why not! But it's not.

As you can see, I'll be interested when a new design comes out, I guess, that would be the theme of this comment.

BTW, won't aluminum make the whole laptop hot as it conduct heat? I guess we have to wait and see.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2008
  8. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

gonna get me a macbook (hopefully with integrated nvidia 9400) and a 22"/24" screen

9. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Mac's are solid systems, so I don't see the problem. I'll be getting my first mac in a few months, and I use them at school for video editing. They get the job done, though I still prefer my windows pc since it has more power, and just because it sounds like a yet engine makes it seem all that much tougher lol

10. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I Find the pricing rumor most interesting.
    I want to know what is going on at that 800$ price point.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The only problem is that the $800 one will be more like £750 over here...

I'd be quite interested to see an Apple netbook, although to me a netbook is supposed to be a cheap, simple laptop, which doesn't really fit into the traditional Mac-mantra imo.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

why do i think the mac netbook will just be a 12 inch iphone with a dual core atom running a OSX...

13. Firehed

Why in the hell would they make a touchscreen netbook? The iPhone may be the Newton of the 21st century, but that doesn't mean that keyboards shouldn't be present on devices large enough where they're actually practical (the eeePC being the lower limit of that).

As far as I'm concerned, a netbook just means an ultraportable both in terms of size and battery life. The fact that the first ones were very cheap helped spur early adoption, but I don't really consider it one of the defining characteristics. And certainly not from an Apple product. Obviously 'netbook' is like 'blog' in the sense that everyone has their own (wrong) interpretation of what the term means, not to mention is a stupid word.

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

touch screen netbooks are a constant mod, so why not supply it the masses. The gigabyte M912 offers tablet function and touch screen.

Ok maybe the apple netbook will have a normal keyboard, but touch screen i think is going to be the next step. Even ASUS are going in this direction.

16. Krikkit

For me the Eee701 and, more recently, the Acer Aspire One have defined what I think a netbook should be - simple, pretty cheap, and accessible for all, particularly with brilliant portability. The newer Eee's at over £350 are just small laptops tbh, and once you start getting into more expensive stuff (as a Mac version would definitely be), it's nothing special anymore. There've been tiny laptops available for years, but only for larger expense.

That's my idea of a netbook. :)

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you know the world is mad when you buy a Acer aspire one out of tecos, i nearly had one tonight for £198 i haven't check if that was a good price, plus the missues would have my balls!

18. Krikkit

If it was the flash+Linux version (A110AW/AB), then not really, any of the higher up models and it was a bargain!

19. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

I can't wait to get one of the new models. I think I'll have Macbook Pro and reason more is that Apple changed to Nvidia chipsets... That's cool and it is a Must Have for me.

20. Firehed

Any portable that comes with a stylus counts as a fail in my book, and none of the software I want/need on laptop runs on Windows. I consider the 7" screens in the EEEs impractically small (though more due to the keyboard attached to that form factor than anything else), so hunting and pecking using a pair of chopsticks on that thing doesn't exactly appeal to me.

I do like the wallpaper they chose though.

Might be good for some people, but absolutely worthless for me. And at the end of the day, that's what I care about. I'm looking for something along the lines of the old 12" Apple notebooks, at least in terms of form factor. I demoed one of the EEEs in a best buy and I just can't use that keyboard at all, which is a complete deal-breaker. It's great in terms of carry-ability, but I find that form factor to be too small to be useful as a laptop even for very lightweight work, and too large to act as some sort of glorified PDA.

Tags: