1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New Monitor; 24"ish, nothing too expensive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by llOriginll, 20 Jul 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

@Kemp,

Don't limit yourself to Dell... there are other options. A monitor which I first scoffed at but am slowly warming to is the Hazro 27" - it's basically the same as other 27" high res displays but is a lot cheaper.

Hazro HZ27WA £549 @ OCUK

Or the cheaper Hazro HZ27WC £399 @ OCUK (pre-order, available early August)

Worth mentioning that OCUK also have the Asus PA246Q for £425, which competes with the U2410. :thumb:

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Ohhhhh and enter Goodbytes....

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

From a marketing point of view, it is in direct competition to the U2410. I didn't say it was a better monitor (or close) ;)

4. longweight

haha I know :p its not a bad monitor and has more adjust-ability than the dell but it does look a bit over the top...

5. Kemp

Kemp New Member

I don't like how the ASUS looks, but the Hazro offerings seem good on paper. Does anyone know how they stack up in real life?

I guess I should also be asking what problems I will have gaming on a 27" from a 560 Ti.

6. longweight

I think they are just bare bones IPS panels, nothing inherently wrong with them but none of the quality the dell products have.

I should think you would be ok with the 560Ti, maybe not on ultra settings but should still look lovely :D

7. Kemp

Kemp New Member

Scan is claiming that the 2410 and the 2711 have a 3 year warranty. Is the panel replacement service something I should be worried about?

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hazro doesn't meet my standard to be considered or recommended.

It fails at:
    -> Glossy screen
    -> Glossy frame
    -> white LED back light
    -> non-adjustable stand (also the stand look peace of crap, like if the screen wont' hold steady.. but that is just me from the picture.)

9. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x New Member

So gaming reviews for the Dell U2311H anyone? Am looking at buying one either tonight or tomorrow. I'm not a semi pro player (any more) but don't like to get nailed either, is there really a noticeable difference with a TN panel?

10. GoodBytes

People using the U2410, U2711 and the U2311H here, found no issue with gaming and fast past shaky cam action films. IPS panels has made huge steps forwards in production cost reduction all by not sacrificing many of it's features, including it's color processor (TN panel does not have that), and in reduction of input lag, ghosting, and increase response time.

Also the above monitors (I don't know about the others for sure), have something called "Game" mode, in the monitor menu, which make the color processor by-pass itself, to reduce input lag even further.

For me, I play on the slowest mode (I have the U2410), Adobe RGB color profile (this option, and sRGB pre-calibarted color profile is not on the U2311H), and I see no issue.

HOWEVER, while everything sounds fantastic, no one here, that jump to the IPS panel, are pro or even semi-pro gamers. We play games for the fun of it, not for the competition side.
    I think you may notice that the panel will be slower, and it might affect your gaming, which could mean several month of getting used to it, and if you can. That is the sacrifice in being to see games, HD movies, and picture look very nice, detailed, and crisp and rich colors, without being saturated, or have it's settings boosted in a way that affects other colors, plus no washed out colors.

You want speed, or you want nicer colors? Is the decision you need to take.
    If you have time and money to give it a try. See with Dell, how many days you have to return your monitor if you are not satisfied with it., and if they are any restock fees. Dell pays return shipment, so you don't have to worry (they e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label,m which you print and put on the box and call the carrier to come and pick it up)

The difference between a high end TN panel, and an entry level IPS panel like the U2311H (see this one as the high-end of the entry level), is quite different.

Build quality is higher (you will see what a real stand should be), as IPS panel aren't aim (not yet, anyways) at budget market, and price competition isn't there yet. The colors are better, and sharper. Anywhere you are, you see perfectly your screen no color shift (except behind the screen, of course), back light bleeding is much less than TN panels, and only affects blacks, and not all colors. The color processor, does wonders in showing pictures that pops. A red car, will be red, not orangy'red. A bright picture, you'll see all the details, green is green, not yellow'ish green. And if you come from an LED back light monitor, than whites, will be white, and not blu'ish white.

But you don't have to take my word for it :)

11. 3lusive

3lusive New Member

Iv had the U2311 for gaming on and can compare it against a good TN panel. The issue is not so much the response times (although the image is not as sharp when moving fast in FPS games in comparison to faster display), the issue is with the overall contrast and black depth. It just doesn't have that high contrast that my other monitor has, and yes I tried for hours to get the contrast to a similar level (turning Dynamic contrast on did nothing for me). I was left thinking the whole image was a bit washed out when I was gaming, hate to be a contrarian but they were my impressions when I used it. I should of filmed it against my Benq. Anyway, its still a good panel but (depending on where you are coming from) for movies and gaming, its contrast is not its strongest point IMHO, and hence why I would look for a different display if that's what you are primarily going to be using it for. Again this may be because the panel that I am used to has a really good black depth, Im unsure but those were my impressions. If you want to get an impression of it for gaming see here

12. llOriginll

llOriginll Member

I'm reluctant to comment on the quality of this monitor (U2311H) until I game on it tonight but thus far I'm impressed by the stand (plastic I know, but good plastic and design at least) and its adjustability, the colour and clarity of video (hi-def and otherwise) as well as general use. The fantastic viewing angle of IPS Vs. my old TN panel is insane and instantly noticeable.

Thus far I love this monitor and would commend it to anyone looking to pick up a monitor for around £200. Well worth it. I'll comment further after I get some gaming in on HoN :D

13. GoodBytes

The stand of the U2311H is in metal :)
    Yes they are plastic parts (black), but metal under it. The black plastic is just decoration.

14. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x New Member

Well I bought a U2311H last night for £199 from aria, should get it tomorrow.

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

16. GoodBytes

I don't like using other people ICC profiles.. if I use the one for my monitor, all my picture are a hint blue'ish. I think the reason is because the back light is not the same. One might be made by GE (let's say), and another by some other company. They do that so that they are able to fill in the demand. They are perhaps other factors, like perhaps different component of color processors and so on used, which might translate to the problem.. I don't know.

This is why if you are going dual screen.. you better buy both screen at the same time, else you will see the color differences. In fact, I did see a color difference when I got a new - replacement U2410, when my first one had the stand scratch when I got it (and damaged box). I put them side by side on my desk, to see how it would look on my desk, and the newer one, the white's was a hint too warm, and the calibrator color report provided, did show this. They would bother "perfect" in image quality, but look very closely, you see the slight difference.

It's best to get out (or purchase), a color calibrator and calibrate your screen.

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Yeah but at what cost? They aren't cheap.

18. torroray

torroray New Member

So if the new BF3 comes out in October with no extra cash to upgrade to new GPU I just change to Game mode to reduce lag? Would it improve my frame rate?

19. GoodBytes

No. Frame rate has nothing to do with the monitor (beside screen resolution).

Game mode, reduces input lag. That is the time in miliseconds between when the monitor has the image signal from the DVI port (or wtv connector you use), and the image that appears non the screen. In other words, it's the processing time delay of the monitor.

Assuming your monitor is extra super duper slow, and you see things in slow motion.
    A monitor with a high input lag, is when you move your character to the left 1 step. You wait 1 second, and you see it on the screen, BUT the graphic card ALREADY drawn that frame long time ago, and is "waiting" for something else to draw, beside the exact same frame again and again as nothing else changed.

Enabling game mode, will reduce the input lag, so instead of talking 1 second, it will take.. well I don't know.. let's say 0.5 seconds.

So what does that mean in a normal world? Well, let's say an enemy target move from the left to the right, and you try to shoot it. You shoot on him, you should have him, but you miss it, because the mouse click that the game receives, says that the enemy target already passed. So you were fooled, because the monitor was not fast enough in displaying the latest frame that it received.

Now it sounds bad, but EVERY monitor has input lag. CRT monitor (the big old tubes), due the lack of any processing as it's all analogue, and the cathode ray canon project lights on the glass, it's essentially the speed of light, somewhat.. the input lag is really all about how long your VGA cable is. So it comes down to ~ <0ms input lag.

But for LCD, whether it's a TN 120Hz "Gamer" class, or what you are looking into buying, you have a input lag of ~10-40ms.
    40, or even 50 ms, is nothing... it's simply not visible. The time your brain react, it's too slow.
    Some few people, crazy very competitive gamers, do see as an issue, as they have super fast ultra reflexes that they develop after years of playing the same game all day.

So when you set Game Mode on the monitor, beside the fact it turns on dynamic contrast ratio, it kinda skips the color processor, in doing it's job, to save time. So you lose color reproduction accuracy based on the monitor settings from what the monitor receives from your graphic card, in the name of speed.

So for example, the U2410 under sRGB or Adobe RGB is ~30-33ms.
    Using Game mode, it's ~14ms.

On average a TN panel input lag is about 8-15ms.