1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New monster build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blade_Reaver, 29 Oct 2009.

1. mbvg

mbvg e5300 all the way

just buy one of those dream pc's or just have a core i7 rig, few terabytes of storage with the biggest, baddest, fastest GPU/S you can get ur hands on

2. mbvg

mbvg e5300 all the way

just buy a pc from mesh or the like

3. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Monitor? keyboard? Plasma TV?

how much space for the case?

Preferred activity on the PC?

And then, I can make you a list.

4. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

+1 :thumb:

your friend would be better off getting 2k PC then getting another one in a year or two.

5. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Spending 4k on a computer is a huge amount. I would have to advise mainly purchasing things that will age relatively well.
    A nice 30" monitor would be a good start.
    A few SSDs and a decent RAID card would also be pretty good (although will not age amazingly...)
    Some nice Peripherals
    Can nice speakers come out of the budget?
    Nice Case
    Awesome watercooling system (you may need to get new blocks, but pumps and Rads don't exactly change a whole lot)

As for the components, as awesome as a dual socket 1366 board is, none of them are any good for overclocking, and all that power is wasted unless you use highly threaded apps. Using one as a render machine would be perfect though.

6. Blade_Reaver

Blade_Reaver New Member

Ok just a few clarifications. This guy doesn't want to by a new computer ofter nor does he want to replace hardware in the mean time, so that's why he want to spend some money to get a computer who's hardware will be top notch.

I talked to him and the things he will do most (beside the usual home usages) is:
    gaming
    video editing
    3d rendering (he designs things in 3d programs)

If he didn't mention the last two things i would probably made him something more similar to the 'dream pc's' on the front page.
    Oh and he only needs the computer itself because he already upgraded is monitors, sound boxes, etc

7. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

+1, defo what I'd do if I had that much to spend, peripherals, cases and monitors don't age, spend like 1K on those then maybe another 1K - 1.5K on computer parts..

8. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

in this case the dual cpu setup makes sense - but just remember you will probably need Xeon chips and ECC RAM.

does anyone know what MB the apple pros use for their dual xeon setups?

9. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

I am not familiar with a site that works in euros, so I am just going to use Newegg and work in US$. Since Euros are worth so much more than US$, should work out ok.

M/B: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAi-O $379.99
    CPUs: 2x Xeon L5520 $1120 ($559.99 each)
    GPU: 5870 of choice $389.99
    RAID controller: LSI 9260-4i $329.99
    OS Drives: 3x Intel X25-M G2 $867($289 each)
    Storage: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 $160 ($79.99 each)
    RAM: 2x 6GB Kingston ECC registered 1333MHz $363 ($189.49 each)
    Cooling: 2x Scythe Mugen 2 $70 ($34.99 each)
    Case: This is really a personal preference, but make sure it supports E-ATX.

TOTAL (without case): US$3680

As this is in US$, and the Euro is much stronger, this will leave plenty of money spare, but should be around ball-park.
    From here I see the following options:
    Add another X25-M - Should do great things for disk speed, more capacity too.
    Add another 5870 - More graphics horsepower. I am not sure how the board likes crossfire though.
    Add watercooling - preferably for silence. Dual 1366 rigs don't like overclocking much.
    Grab better CPUs - Expensive and probably uneeded, but the option is there.

So those are my thoughts...

Laz

10. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

nice finds, but bear in mind the exchange rate isnt really true for europe - we usually pay more than you if you do a straight currency conversion.

11. Andersen1337

Andersen1337 New Member

Bear in mind that putting SSDs in an RAID array will decrease the performance since it triples the accesstime for every disk you add to the array. It would be cheaper and more efficient to just buy one big SSD.

As for everyone else, try finding an european store to piece the parts together, that will make the price more accurate.

12. identikit

identikit Active Member

Apple makes their own. If you're going to get a dual Xeon mb go with Supermicro or Tyan.

13. Kyocera

OK.
    Considering that I'm good informed only on the most performing components, resulting in PC build advices on the Bit-tech forum that are unfortunately at least on the upper cost level, I'll try not to blow away your friend's neighborhood (from envy). :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The first PC that I'm going to present to you is only a proposition!!
    I ask you to discuss the feelings with you friend, give me the feedback, and then I'll move to the final suggestion.

working on you PC, please take a cup of coffee....:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :D

14. Kyocera

I have a small problem; I've almost put together the working part of the machine.
    The specs correspond to industry standards for work-supercomputers (usually found in studios like Pixar,...).

Problem? the case
    I need at least 8, or 10 GPU slots on the back, and if possible the option for dual PSU!!!
    The only cases are these (however they fulfill only the minimal requirements):
    -Lian Li PC-80
    -HEC 98 98R9
    The other problem is cooling, since the output will be effective 1.000W!!!
    this cases are not that rich with vents.

Any idea?????
    a server mini rack???

15. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Dunno about the case but cooling is easily solved...
    Stick in a couple of these and you'll lose your hearing but you'll keep the home warm

16. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Ahh you realise the access time for an SSD is >.1ms? I'm not disagreeing with the one big drive idea but SSDs in RAID 0 aren't that bad, even considering what you said your looking at 3ms access time, and there aren't a lot of things one can do in 3ms

17. Andersen1337

Andersen1337 New Member

You could try and get a hold of a Lian Li PC343B.

18. Kyocera

You are joking; it would be easier to take the Lian Li PC-X200 and take out the lower horizontal metal plate.
    In the upper compartment you push two PSUs (making one hole in the side for the second and rotating it 90 degrees).

19. Kyocera

Okey; I finished all necessary calculations.

Now; question:
    The home PC I have on the paper in front of me has almost 10 milliard transistors.

Should I make possible a future upgrade to 13 milliard or finalise the above figure???

Last edited: 31 Oct 2009
  20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

not the spec i would do if it was my money, not close... that mobo and 2 CPU's is pointless, nothing is coded to use more than 4 cores, if you wont a monster mobo, get Asus P6T7 WS Intel X58.. and slap 7 5850's in