1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New Network, + Server2k advance probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zmaster2k, 24 Sep 2005.

1. Zmaster2k

Zmaster2k You looking at me?

Hi All,

I live in a pub, we have no less than 10 pcs around the building, some wireless, some wired, all connected to a router and modem to the internet.

However, as we have letting rooms we have introduced a server into the system, (so guests can have access to ur intranet and internet.

We opted for Windows 2000 Advanced Server, (due to my dad knowing somcontacts and getting it rather cheap) ........no probles so far. I mean ive used NT4 server before (granted a while ago) and i never had any problems.#

untill now-----active directory

My test rig, for this is my lap top please note this is running WinXp Home and has wirless and wired abilities.

Right click my computer, computername, network id, network with domain, Domain user information (entered:administrator,password,domain name) then tells me it cant find the computer on the domain, (so confirm the info (computername and domain) ), then asks for an acount with relevant permission -- i chose use administrator's account again) then enter......."the RPC server is unavailable!

Guys iam in over my head, i'l admit it, why cant i add computers to my domain! Need this fixing fairly soon as the refurb is nearly finnished!

2. andyunder

andyunder What's a Dremel?

try with a different version of windows or xp pro as home does not have domain capabilities

3. Zmaster2k

Zmaster2k You looking at me?

doh !! i suspected as much as its the only computer with home on it and its the only one that dossnt work! DAMNATION! Will try installing xp pro and hope it solve issues.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

There is a hack to allow XP Home to use domains though, search for it.

Tags: